Talk

Advanced search

When do I put the bleach in the washing machine?

(7 Posts)
MooM00 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:41:55

My tea towels need bleaching, I've never put bleach in the washing machine before. Does it go in the soap powder side at the same time as the soap powder?

Flisspaps Wed 22-Jun-11 11:16:21

That's when and where I put it in, but it doesn't bleach out the stains from mine. Then again, overnight soaking in bleach solution doesn't shift them either.

MooM00 Wed 22-Jun-11 11:20:27

Ooooo.So how do I get my teatowels clean(ish)?

missnevermind Wed 22-Jun-11 11:24:07

I put my bleach in the drum itself, then use a really hot wash with powder in the draw as usual.

AmberLeaf Wed 22-Jun-11 11:48:11

When i do it i put the bleach in the smaller section to the left of the powder section at the start of the wash, dont know if this is the right way or not!?

I boil wash tea towels and towels so rarely need to use bleach, i find that boiling usually does the trick.

My mum used to pre soak with Biotex.

leapyleo Fri 24-Jun-11 18:40:03

I put mine in a big saucepan of boiling water on the hob with a scoop of bio washing powder and let it simmer for 15 mins. Gets rid of stains and saucepan sparkles too.

PigletJohn Sat 25-Jun-11 11:12:24

Chlorine bleach does tend to cause rubber seals to perish so I would avoid putting it in a washer. I believe Americans use bleach more than Europeans in laundry, possibly their powders are different to ours. Generally, UK powders conain a bleaching agent and liquids/gels don't. Persil is particularly good at getting things white (true!), so if Persil doesn't get them white enough, I would put them in a plastic bucket with cold water and a trace of bleach to soak, then rinse and wash normally.

This is also why Persil powder makes coloureds fade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now