Talk

Advanced search

Deluge of Flies

(7 Posts)

I have a room that is not used very often but over the last couple of days there are loads of flies appearing. I hoover them up then go back a couple of hours later and there are more. Please can anyone suggest where they are coming from and what is the best way of dealing with them?

belledechocchipcookie Mon 20-Jun-11 14:37:54

Look for something smelly and mushy. They must be hatching somewhere in the room (boak).

Is there a chimney in the room? Or wooden window frames?

Thanks for replies - have searched the room, no obvious smelly or mushy items! The chimney is sealed but there are wooden window frames and wooden panelling - would they be behind these? Any suggestions on how to deal with them? Fresh supply in there today, it is truly gross!

Sparklingblue Tue 21-Jun-11 07:55:33

A friend of mine had this problem. It turned out to be maggot eggs in an ancient carpet. Check the carpet for tiny white eggs and if that's the problem just chuck the carpet out.

Gingefringe Tue 21-Jun-11 10:28:38

Sounds like swarming black flies coming out of hibernation. These aren't like bluebottles so wont settle on food etc but they are a nuisance as there are just loads of them. Have a look on Google - we had these a couple of years ago coming out of an old fireplace (they can squeeze out of tiny holes) - if it is this type of fly the one consolation is that they never hibernate in the same twice!

I used to spray mine with water and a tiny squirt of washing up liquid in a spray gun as I was fed up with all the fly spray I was using to try to get rid of them.

janmoomoo Tue 21-Jun-11 10:41:00

Ahhh! I just came on to post about this same problem. I have had at least 4 or 5 massive bluebottles in my house every day lately. So frustrating, they must be coming from somewhere but how on earth do you track down where? Mine are not in any particular room. Should we be squirting fly spray into cracks around the place?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now