Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone REALLY empty their Hoover each time?

(27 Posts)
TheMitfordsMaid Mon 20-Jun-11 11:44:33

I'm not entirely sure that I really care what anyone else does, but I'm not sure if this is one of those things that everyone knew but me. I've never found it necessary to discuss my hoover habits with friends, so I was blown away when my 4 year old told me that my PIL empty the Hoover after every use. He is now insisting that we do the same.

Does anyone else actually do this?

DiNammic Mon 20-Jun-11 11:44:52

yes
you are slattern

PorkChopSter Mon 20-Jun-11 11:45:42

If you DS wants to empty the hoover for you, let him.

Did the idea of him insisting on it come from him or your inlaws grin

notnowbernard Mon 20-Jun-11 11:46:28

do people do this?!

thestringcheeseincident Mon 20-Jun-11 11:47:06

No.
when it is semi full I do.

TheMitfordsMaid Mon 20-Jun-11 11:49:03

I am quite happy to offload housekeeping tasks to my 4 year old. But really, do people do this? I am quite shocked. I probably don't have the highest standards though, having been raised by a 70s feminist.

growingstrawberries Mon 20-Jun-11 11:51:10

I do, but that is because I have a Roomba, which needs emptying after each use!

I also have a Dyson, which gets emptied when it starts to make a funny whining noise, and I realise that actually, it cannot fit anymore dust/crap in, and is about to explode blush

Awomancalledhorse Mon 20-Jun-11 11:51:47

I do, only as we have a Dyson Animal (v.small!) and it gets clogged up with my hair/bunny fur/sawdust each time we DH vacuums.

Pootles2010 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:54:33

I do, but that is because I don't vacuum as often as I should, therefore it is half full after one use.

It helps thats its easy to do - no idea off make but similar rip off version of to dyson, with a bit that you just take out and flick a switch and it all empties into bin.

BigBadBear Mon 20-Jun-11 11:59:12

I don't. I wait until it's full.

Seona1973 Mon 20-Jun-11 13:19:19

my hoover tells you when the dust bag is full and thats when it gets emptied

DorisVinyard Mon 20-Jun-11 14:24:06

I used to when I had a Dyson as it wouldn't hold hardly any dust/dirt. Replaced it with a marvellous Henry that hardly ever seems to need emptying!

AMumInScotland Mon 20-Jun-11 14:35:43

No, because I'm not supposed to empty it, but to throw out the entire bag when it gets full. And I'm not going to do that every time I use the thing!

buttonmoon78 Tue 21-Jun-11 21:32:38

I have a dyson which I empty every time. Mainly because I generally vac the whole house each time (not as marvellous as it sounds - once in every other blue moon).

We have a collie who sheds a fair amount so it fills up pretty quick!

MildlyMadMum Fri 24-Jun-11 12:44:14

Why oh why are you even asking this? if it sounds mad... it probably is... don't question your cleanliness on the acts of someone who has too much time on their hands or at worse... a dirt phobia

LoveInAColdClimate Fri 24-Jun-11 22:25:34

I do - we have a Dyson which fills up pretty fast. And I wash the bit you remove to empty it (the part that holds the dirt) really thorougly every time, as well. Written down, this sounds a bit insane...

suzikettles Fri 24-Jun-11 22:29:25

No. Because it's a Miele and a pack of bags costs a frickin fortune.

Unless you mean she fannies about emptying the bag which would be madness. Or if it's a bagless thing then, no I still don't think I would, but less mad.

AnnoyingOrange Fri 24-Jun-11 22:43:51

I empty my dyson every time - I think it's because you can see all the fluff and gunk inside it through the clear perspex

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Jun-11 22:46:50

Don't have a Hoover, but empty my Dyson every time as you can see all the crap in there.

ThePetiteMummy Fri 24-Jun-11 22:47:23

I also empty my Dyson each time. I don't think it picks up properly if it gets too full, something to do with the cyclone thingy and dirt spinning round.

LawrieMarlow Fri 24-Jun-11 22:49:02

Have been emptying the Hoover more often now as have a new bagless one and am still quite excited by pressing the button and all the stuff coming out. Need to get out more I feel grin

wicketkeeper Wed 06-Jul-11 12:20:58

Used to have a Dyson, after years of bags. Totally disgusting job to empty - if you do it indoors, the dust goes everywhere, if you do it outside, the wind blows the dust into your hair and face. And once you've used it a couple of times the see-thru bit isn't see-thru cos of all the dust. Also, it freaking well does lose suction, unless you keep the filter clean - you can tell I'm not happy, can't you. Changed about a year ago for a Phillips with a bag. Joy to empty - open it up, take out the bag, put the bag in the bin, put a new bag in the machine. 5 second job, no swearing required. I empty it when the bag's full. Simples.

pigpog Wed 06-Jul-11 20:27:55

I empty mine every time. Only because we have a Dyson, and I hate seeing it with crap in!
Our old hoover had a bag in and that only got emptied when it was full smile

herbietea Wed 06-Jul-11 20:33:50

Message withdrawn

northerngirl41 Wed 06-Jul-11 20:50:43

I do this but only because I detest hoovering so much that I like to see how much of a difference I am making.... We have a bagless though so it's not that much hassle.

Having said that I hoover about oh..... once every 6 months maybe? (Love my cleaning lady!! grin )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: