Talk

Advanced search

Who has an aga and can help me???

(10 Posts)
theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Mon 20-Jun-11 11:33:28

Hi ladies
We're about to move house and there's currently an aga in the kitchen. I have no idea how they work or how to cook on them (I cook a lot though). I'm a bit worried about it but really don't want to remove it as the kitchen is lovely otherwise.
I'm also concerned about the cost of running it/maintenance etc.
Thanks!

TarquinGyrfalcon Mon 20-Jun-11 15:02:27

I have an Esse (--poor man's AGA--) smile - we had an AGA in our last house.
How many ovens do you have in your AGA, 2 or 4?

I love having a range type cooker - howver, I do also have the electric companion module.

Cooking on it is a pleasure - you have to get used to using the ovens as much as possible - eg boiling potatoes, do it on the floor of the hot oven - that way the temperature doesn't drop.

It's lovely for doing things like quiche or pizza and I can make delicious moist cakes in mine.

The bottom oven can be used like a slow cooker - very useful in Winter for stews and caseroles.

There are a few cookery books written for range cooking - I'd buy one and use that until you are used to it. It is a big change but most people love it once they get used to it.

We have ours serviced once a year - I try not to think about running costs too much, just appreciate the fact that our kitchen is always lovely and cosy.

MuffinBuilder Wed 22-Jun-11 10:41:42

We inherited and AGA a few years ago and wouldn't be without it now!!

If you can get yourself on a short course at your local AGA shop it is well worth it, we did one called 'help I've inherited and AGA' and is was fascinating, also met lots of other people who were similarly concerned.
Another top tip is to invest in the 'Complete Book of AGA knowhow' by Richard Maggs. This fantastic book has only a few recipies but is jammed with techniques and tips.
The best way to make a sucess of an AGA is to embrace the idea of cooking differently and both the book and the course will tell you how
If you are worried about running costs it may be worth looking into retro fitting the AIMS system which drops the temp when you are not using it so as to save fuel, although the fitting isn't cheap.
Good luck, I hope you get as much joy from your AGA as we do smile

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Fri 24-Jun-11 18:32:22

Thanks for the advice. So I'm really getting a bit stressed about this. Stupid questions are

1. Isn't it really hot for the summer (all 2 weeks of it...)
2. Are the oven doors child proof/safe - I have dc who is into everything
3. How do the hobs work
4. Can I still use my cast iron pans

Thanks!

vintageteacups Fri 24-Jun-11 19:53:25

Go to the AGA website and book yourslef onto a beginners course. They do basic Aga demos which explain how they work and the lady does a few demos that you can taste.

Waswondering Fri 24-Jun-11 20:03:45

I don't have one (yet!) but grew up with one.

Is it hot in summer? That depends on your location and kitchen. In Scotland (where I am), unlikely! Also if north facing, less likely.

Childproof - yes. They can't open them easily and they are warm to touch. Hang a towel on the rail over the hot oven. I don't remember ever burning myself on it however (and have memories of leaning against it for Higher revision!)

Hobs - one hot, one moderate. Open the lid and put your pan on and voila.

Yes - cast iron no problem. Le Creuset - perfect!

Enjoy. One day, one day.

Oh - and Joules have a range of lid covers (fabric covers for the outside of the lids) and oven gloves in jaunty fabrics. Awfully nice.

smile

K999 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:09:19

We had an Aga in our last house.

We miss it terribly!! They are fantastic!!

K999 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:12:03

But an Aga kettle - takes no time at all to boil.

and use the Aga for doing your toast as well.

Aga fried eggs are the most perfect.

Waswondering Fri 24-Jun-11 20:13:26

Porridge overnight in warming oven good too.

LoveInAColdClimate Fri 24-Jun-11 22:30:00

I grew up with an Aga and can't wait until we move to a house that would suit one. You will love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now