Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Multiyork v M&S sofas

(14 Posts)
Murtette Sun 19-Jun-11 21:52:12

We'd originally dismissed Multiyork sofas as being out of our price range but they now have a 50% off sale which means that the sofas we like there are only a couple of hundred quid more expensive than the ones we like in M&S. Both sofas have very similar dimensions, seem to be equally comfortable and have similar quality leather (which we've chosen due to having destructive toddlers in the house). Which is likely to be still standing (and comfortable) in 5 years? Is the Multiyork one worth the extra money? The Multiyork one has better guarantees on paper but, tbh, I'm not sure if they're really worth it as I'd expect the frame of any sofa to last & the fact that they do replacement covers doesn't help as that only applies to fabric sofas, not leather.

Any thoughts?

TheSecondComing Sun 19-Jun-11 22:20:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HappyAsIAm Tue 21-Jun-11 11:56:18

I've had M&S sofas for 8 years, and they're still going strong. I would 100& recommend. Never had Multiyork to be able to give an informed view, sorry.

Moodykat Tue 21-Jun-11 14:09:03

I have an inherited Multiyork sofa that would still look fab if it wasn't such a silly colour (palest yellow) and is still very comfy. I've had it four years and I think my Godmother had it three before that. Not had anything from M&S but just wanted to be able to balance the views!

MooM00 Tue 21-Jun-11 14:13:00

We have a multiyork sofa that is about 15 years old and is in really good condition(unfortunately we don't like it and it seems a shame to get rid of it), my mum has 2 that are about 25 years old and are great too and she's the sort of person who replaces stuff all the time.Both are fabric though.

TheMoreItSnows Tue 21-Jun-11 14:31:52

We've got a M&S dark brown leather sofa (Abbey I think), over 10 years old (kids 6 & 5) - looks as good as new (once I wipe the yogurt stains off, and hoover up the crumbs under the cushions). Gets more comfy with age as it gets 'squashier'. No reason why it won't go on at least another 10 years plus.

nattie55 Thu 23-Jun-11 08:09:25

I've had my Multiyork leather sofa 6 years and despite the best efforts of my 4 year old with crayons and jumping all over it, it still looks as good as new. The guarantee is 15 years on the frame and springs which gave me peace of mind when my little boy came along. I would have liked a fabric sofa, as the choice of fabrics was great (spolit for choice really) but opted for leather from a practical point of view with a young family. I was thinking of a sofabed for our guest room and now hearing there's 50% off I'll be visiting my local store for definate this weekend, thanks for the heads up Murtette.

pingulingo Sat 25-Jun-11 22:23:03

If you want an M&S sofa, these people make them and they have 2 factory shops if you dont want to pay M&S price!

http://www.westbridgefurniture.com/contact.php

JellyBelly10 Mon 27-Jun-11 15:29:10

I have two MUltiyork sofas which I think are pretty well made and will hopefully last ages (had them 6 years). BUT the service from Multiyork was appalling!!!! DElivery took ages longer than they said, when they eventually arrived they were covered in mildew and stank of rot!!! They then took weeks and weeks longer to re-deliver (new ones, not the mildewy ones!), and were just incredibly unapologetic about the fact that sofas that should ahve arrived in October eventually arrived just before CHristmas. One of the wooden feet on one sofa was also in the wrong place, not symmetrical with the others, they took ages to come back and sort that out. I wrote lots of letters of complaint and got standard replies and eventually they sent me a £75 voucher off more MUltiyork sofas!!!! As if I intended to buy more!! After LOTS of phone calls and letters from me they eventually sent me a cheque for £150. So whilst I think Multiyork sofas are good products, their service was rubbish!

Wolfgirl Mon 27-Jun-11 16:17:33

We have one mahooooooooosive Multiyork sofa, way too big really for our room. DH uses it regularly as there is a bed time curfew in our house grin, it is very comfy. In fact, I've just stripped the cover off for it's annual wash grin

Would recommend, but very expensive!

Murtette Mon 27-Jun-11 20:41:33

It sounds as though they're both pretty good. In the end, we went for Multiyork as the dimensions suited our living room better. I just hope we had a better experience than you did, JellyBelly!

midoriway Wed 29-Jun-11 10:43:40

I'm going to check out westbridge, thanks pingu. I give my heap of rubbish DHS sofa death stares every time I look at it these days. Never again.

MunchosBallesteros Thu 04-Oct-12 08:17:55

The difference in quality is worlds apart. I delivered M&S and Multiyork furniture for a couple of years and I can assure you, there is no comparison. Multiyork are by far the best. From the build quality to the finish they are far superior. I just wish I could afford to have Multiyork myself!!

Murtette Sat 06-Oct-12 21:57:45

Well as somehow has resurrected this thread, I thought I'd come back & post about our experience one year on. Delivery etc was all good but I'm not overly impressed with the sofas. We were told we wouldn't need to plump up the seats or backs but we do and even with daily plumping its obvious where we sit on each sofa. As we got a leather one, you can't turn or swap the cushions as its only leather on one side of the seats & backs. The seats & backs are not going to last anywhere near as long as the frames. Our friends have the M&S sofas we were considering and have had them a year longer than we have had our Multiyork ones and their M&S ones are not looking any better or worse than ours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now