Talk

Advanced search

Fitted sheets or flat sheets?

(14 Posts)
Tuggy Sun 19-Jun-11 13:55:06

We've just bought a gorgeous new sleigh bed that i've been hankering after for a while.

It's a super king so no current linen will fit it - therefore having to buy all new stuff.

I've always bought fitted as that's what my mum uses, but I'm thinking "hang on, surely flat sheets are better as you can iron and fold them easily"

There must be a reason that fitted exist though despite being harder to iron?

So what are the ups and downs of fitted vs flat and what should I go for Mumsnet?

Wigeon Sun 19-Jun-11 13:57:27

Fitted sheets are much more practical if you never iron them grin! Especially if they aren't 100% cotton and therefore aren't that crumpled...

Tuggy Sun 19-Jun-11 14:02:05

Ah luckily we have a lady who does the ironing so they WILL be ironed smile

If it was me, I never ever bother but seeing as she will do them that's what got me thinking maybe she would prefer them to be flat?

DaisySteiner Sun 19-Jun-11 14:19:46

Have a look on YouTube for videos on how to fold fitted sheets - once you've got the hang of it, they're quite easy to fold and iron.

I much prefer them - much easier to make the bed and they don't become untucked as easily either.

strawberryjelly Sun 19-Jun-11 15:38:52

I disagree Daisy find fitted a nightmare- once you get 3 corners attached the 4th one seems to ping!

Much prefer flat- all you have to do is tuck in. But you do have to lift corners of mattress and that can be heavy. With fitted you can get away with pulling over corners of mattress.

Blatherskite Sun 19-Jun-11 15:44:39

Folding fitted sheets is easy! MIL says I do it better than her daughters <preen> smile

Fitted much easier to put on IMO and much more likely to stay put overnight

Putthatbookdown Sun 19-Jun-11 17:24:00

I found fitted a nightmare for my 2 non-standard single beds-they were too small so if non-standard size bed you have to go for flat

Bunbaker Sun 19-Jun-11 17:49:58

Fitted for me every time. They fit our standard sized beds easily. My rotary dryer is not high enough to put king sized flat sheets on as they trail on the ground - another good reason to use fitted.

schroeder Sun 19-Jun-11 21:29:00

I used to always use flat and loved hospital corners, dh though twists and turns so much he was always untucking them in his sleep. Now I have fitted, I don't bother folding the sheets, but roll them up inside their matching pillowcases.

blush <judges self for writing about sheets>

wimpybar Sun 19-Jun-11 21:33:15

flat sheets, fitted are a pita - unless you are prepared to pull the sheet tight every night. superking is huge! do you have space for three people? grin

Cutiecat Sun 19-Jun-11 21:51:44

My DH tosses and turns so much it drives me mad when we stay at my mums (who has flat sheets) we wake up in a tangle of sheets. I have to remake it every morning. Thus fitted sheets the whole time for us.

I am not an ironer and also have brushed cotton sheets in the winter so that is not a consideration for me. I have a way of folding them that is neat. I could find a diagram for you if you like.

strawberryjelly Sun 19-Jun-11 22:38:35

I realy don't get those of youwho say that flat sheets come untucked [cofused]

I buy J Lewis flat sheets for a king size bed.

The overhang ( we have a wooden bedstead with a mattress that pops in the frame) is at least 18 inches on each side and round the top & bottom- so there is masses to tuck in under the mattress - sides and corners. In fact it can be a bit of a tug to take the sheets off to wash!

If you are finding your flat sheets come untucked- are you buying the right size?

Awomancalledhorse Mon 20-Jun-11 02:42:20

Fitted Sheets, we've got a 15 inch (oo-err!) deep king size and the best sheets we've found for fit are John Lewis (got the mattress protector from there too).
I do not fold my sheets, they go in a vaccum pack bag & hide under the bed grin.

Schroeder, don't feel bad! Dh & I had a lovely argument the other day over bedcoverings; duvets (him) vs blankets (me)

Tuggy Mon 20-Jun-11 11:13:16

Thanks everyone... it seems it's personal preference then.. hmmmm....

wimpybar if your man farted like mine you'd need a super-king too ;)

and we're too soft on the dogs and they often come up in the night and hog all the room

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now