Talk

Advanced search

Scrubbing a table - help!

(3 Posts)
BCBG Wed 15-Jun-11 22:47:31

Last week I bought something I've always wanted: an old Victorian kitchen table with a worn top to use as a kitchen table; the sort that used to be scrub we'd back with elbow grease and bleach? Except it appears not: it got marked over the weekend so stupidly I poured bleach on the mark and started rubbing so now I have a bleach mark. Worse still, tonight I knocked a candle over which poured wax across the table. so then I scrubbed it with a cloth and a hot water c,waning solution, and it looks very clean except that the wax has left a liquid shaped heat stain. blush. This distressed malarkey is harder than it looks then! Does anyone have a) a clue what I am on about and b) any idea how I get that fshly scrubbed table top look please! Thanks

BCBG Wed 15-Jun-11 22:48:50

Sorry for typos..... 'scrubbed' and 'cleaning'. Doh.

gotolder Thu 16-Jun-11 13:05:05

We had a scrubbed top table when I was a child: my mother used a scrubbing brush with stiff bristles, hot soapy water and lots and lots of elbow grease (maybe even bleach sometimes). She did this once a week on washday after the boiler had been used so plenty of hot soapy water available. The rest of the week it was wiped and covered with a cloth! I did love it and wanted one but when I had the chance I just remembered her red raw handssmile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now