Talk

Advanced search

organising wardrobes... how do you do yours?

(12 Posts)
lollipoppet Sat 11-Jun-11 23:43:04

I've just spent an hour ruthlessly going through my wardrobe clearing out the old (toning make way for new! smile ) and now I'm just wondering how to organise it nicely. I've got a double wardrobe with a shelf at the top, rail, boxes (currently for shoes and bags) on the floor and one big drawer (other is for underwear/pjs)
I'd like some way of using the top shelf for folded stuff like jeans, leggings but so it doesn't end up a messy pile. Would you use boxes? Though I am short...
Or better to use drawers and make the shelf a home for something else?
I know this is so boring!!

lollipoppet Sun 12-Jun-11 09:47:52

Anyone? Or is it really far too boring a topic??

PeppaPigandGeorge Sun 12-Jun-11 09:56:49

I don't think it's too boring, it's just too much of an admission to answer!!! I am also doing the same thing with my own wardrobe and also the dreaded toy mess. I use drawers for folded things and underwear / PJs. I use the top shelf for the other bit of a four seasons duvet, spare bedding, other such stuff that I need but not every day.

Karbea Sun 12-Jun-11 10:04:24

I can't answer really, as our wardrobe situation is hell! But we are moving soon, but I love boxes, I've one with small bags in it, one with belts, one with scarves.... Boxes are the way forward!

nannyl Sun 12-Jun-11 10:12:58

Me and OH have 2 matching solid wood wardrwobes (and a chest of drawers.)

In my wardrobe i have "stuff" (not clothes) on top shelf, and i hang up my trousers / shorts / PJs.

Folded neatly on the shelf below i have all my jumpers in 3 colour co-ordinated piles
My wardrobe drawer contains bikinis / swim suits/ other summer holiday essentials.
Other wardrobe:
Hanging... my smart skirts and shirts, and OHs smart shirts and tops / suits
On the top shelf 3 neat folded piles of OHs jumpers ; T shirts ; sporty clothes.
On the bottom of wardrobe: 3 piles of OHs work clothes ; trousers ; shorts

In his draw random sports clothes / cricket uniform / orientering kit etc (and things for his sports (ie special watch and dibber) and cuff links / bow ties etc

In our chest of drawers.
OH has the top for pants / socks / hankies / ties
I have the next 3:
1 for knickers
1 for socks / bras
1 for folded T shirts

Bonsoir Sun 12-Jun-11 10:17:02

It's best to hang trousers from a trouser hanger. In fact, hang anything that can be hung if you have the space to do so - clothes look so much better when stored on hangers as well as being easier to manage. Avoid folding anything if you can.

Boxes are difficult for anything that is used regularly. I have a "holiday box" for beachwear, and I put all our ski stuff away in vacuum bags on a high shelf, but don't use many boxes otherwise as I just forget what is in them.

petitdonkey Sun 12-Jun-11 10:19:19

I have the very same problem - I have two wardrobes with plenty of hanging space but my other cupboard just has enourmous shelves which end up a mess - I have just taken the measurements for these in the hope that if I get several I can label them - 'white t-shirts, blue, fine knits etc.)

sunshinenanny Sun 12-Jun-11 13:43:58

nanny! I commend you for your organization skills. It makes life so much easier if one doesn't have to spend hours looking for clothes because everything is a mess.smile

I can't believe the chaos in some of the houses I've worked in and I have had to waste time trying to find clothes of the right size and type to get a child dressed.confused

Having said that I could really do with more storage space because my sewing and craft stash is getting too large. I still know where my clothes are thoughsmile

lollipoppet Sun 12-Jun-11 17:29:47

Sorry nanny, did you say you hang pajamas?! Please tell me you don't iron them as well??

nannyl Sun 12-Jun-11 18:30:44

i do blush yes

cinpin Sun 12-Jun-11 21:18:21

Wow do you actually iron your pyjamas? I would love to be all tidy having said that just kitted out my wardrobe with lots of gadgets from Ikea, so I am tidy at the moment.

nannyl Sun 12-Jun-11 21:38:10

yes blush
but baby is on the way so i think my standards will drop pretty soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: