Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone use Dettol (or any brand) surface wipes? How eco unfriendly are they?

(16 Posts)
eveningprimrose Fri 10-Jun-11 17:39:09

I have been put off these as it seems very non eco to use and then dispose.
Cracked and bought some today and got things like basins, loo seats done in fraction of my usual time.
Led me to wonder - are they really so bad. If I had done this my usual way i would have run loads of water for rinsing cloths - sprayed lots of dettox, Cif or whatever. Then, because I am paranoid about potential germy cloths I would have washed all cloths together at a very hot wash separate from my other laundry.

Mmm - not sure it if all that is not worse for the environment. Like to know if anyone has thought about this one?

cjbartlett Fri 10-Jun-11 17:39:53

well they're no good cos they go staright to landfill
but I still use them!

eveningprimrose Fri 10-Jun-11 18:32:13

So do you ladies who use them do so all the time, or is it just for a quick wiperound sometimes i.e. would you tackle a whole bathroom clean with a packet of wipes or would it be just the odd occaison when things look grubby between times?

JetLi Fri 10-Jun-11 20:29:22

I use them for camping & have a pack in the changing bag for thos unfortunate oiccasions when you come across a manky changing table.
I am a bit torn about using wipes, but find them useful when I'm in Keep The Muck Down mode. I find it speedier to whizz over a lightly soiled bathroom with a handful of wipes, than to break out the cleaners & sprays. But yes the landfill jobby bothers me. I am less bothered when camping having once suffered a D&V bug in a tent & it really wasn't cricket, so my view is that hygiene is absolutely paramount.

Cutiecat Fri 10-Jun-11 21:55:47

I use them for when some one has a tummy bug or something and then I wipe the light switch, loo flush and loo seat with them. I have also been know to wipe the phones with them after a bad episode of D&V. I normally use microfibre cloths from ebay for cleaning and wash them but there are times I just want to wipe and chuck.

Chipotle Fri 10-Jun-11 23:21:16

Guilty...
I use the all the time, as well as Mr Sheen Polish wipes, Windowlene wipes, Dettol Floor wipes, Pledge Floor wipes, and Parazone Toilet wipes... I find them so convenient and quick. It hadn't even occurred to me that they were bad for he environment. blush

whiskyplease Sat 11-Jun-11 08:44:18

I use the multi-surface wipes from Lidl - they're good and smell fresh.
I heard on Radio 4 the other day that they cause huge problems at sewage works because people flush them down the loo and they get caught in the equipment further along the line. Their immediacy is what I like, open packet, remove wipe, no running water needed, then dispose of it (in the bin - not down the loo).

DisparityCausesInstability Sat 11-Jun-11 08:57:39

I use flushable toilet wipes - everyday, rub around keeps toilet sparkly and means I don't have horrible cloth to deal with. Mostly I buy Method, sometimes Parazone, but always the biodegradable, flushable kind. Everything else in the bathroom gets cleaned by cloth and spray.

valiumredhead Sat 11-Jun-11 13:29:28

I use the floor wipes - bring the tiled floor up a treat!

valiumredhead Sat 11-Jun-11 13:30:13

And I'm not sure 'eco friendly' and 'wipes' belong in the same sentence grin

NanaB2010 Sun 12-Jun-11 08:47:54

I thought they were great until I realised that throwing them down the loo after you've wiped the loo seat with them eventually blocks the drains. I got a lecture from the plumber who said they are one of the major causes of drain blockages and I should never put anything like that, including face cleaning wipes and 'ladies things' (his words), down the loo again. It was extremely embarrassing watching him fish all the offending articles out.

Cutiecat Sun 12-Jun-11 11:49:51

Just I must add that we used the toddler wipes for a while until they caused a blockage which resulted in sewerage sweeping up through the floor of our downstairs loo. SInce then I don't flush anything apart from tampons. I even went through a phase of putting them in biodegradable nappy sacks but admit that I have given that up now.

valiumredhead Mon 13-Jun-11 14:44:51

Good grief, I had no idea people still flushed things other than paper down the loo!

midnightservant Mon 13-Jun-11 18:03:13

Cutie I don't think you should even be flushing tampons.

halcyondays Mon 13-Jun-11 19:33:09

no, I don't flush anything apart from toilet paper. I don't trust any of these so called flushable wipes not to block the toilet and flushing sanitary products is bad for the environment. Sometimes I've seen a sign in toilets saying "don't flush nappies and wipes" and I think, who on earth flushes nappies down the toilet?

I use anti-bac wipes sometimes to quickly wipe the sink if in a hurry, but usually use an e cloth. I mainly use them for things like cleaning round the toilet or for if the cat's been sick. I'm sure they are mot very Eco friendly, but they are useful at times.

Cutiecat Tue 14-Jun-11 01:33:16

I am not flushing anything as am pregnant and about to have number 3. I will bag again when periods resume. waits for someone to mention a mooncup

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: