Talk

Advanced search

Smelly washing machine - advice please

(12 Posts)
MirandaGoshawk Thu 09-Jun-11 21:30:22

Lately it's been smelling strongly of mould. I've wiped the seals, washed the tray, unblocked the coin trap thingy (got out lots of grit & gunge from that). Have done the hottest wash (85 deg) & put through limescale remover. The upshot is that the whole kitchen now smells of mould. hmm

Any ideas?

Tangchi Thu 09-Jun-11 21:32:32

I was told by a washing machine repair person to put on a 90 degree wash with 2 tablets of Milton in the drum works v well

MirandaGoshawk Thu 09-Jun-11 21:39:44

Unfortunately it doesn't go up to 90 deg, and I haven't had any Milton in the house for about 15 years. But I do appreciate your advice grin

Would something else do?

DisparityCausesInstability Thu 09-Jun-11 21:54:11

Use Biological washing powder and less of it than they recommend. A few 90 degree washes too. It won't work immediately - the washing machine I inherited stank and it took nearly 3 weeks before I got rid of the smell.

EldonAve Thu 09-Jun-11 21:55:34

bio powder 90 wash
white vinegar 90 wash

MirandaGoshawk Thu 09-Jun-11 22:09:35

Thanks Disparity. I'll be patient.

Eldon - Aha! I do have some white vinegar. Will give it a go. Thanks.

create Thu 09-Jun-11 22:20:03

Kim and Aggie recommend hottest wash with a bottle of vinegar emptied into the drum, followed by hottest wash with bleach in the drum

megagusset Fri 10-Jun-11 13:16:41

dishwasher tablet straight into drum, hottest wash possible. Beware using bleach, had a nasty experience of it bubbling out of soap drawer and onto waiting dirty lothes! Take out you soap drawer and give it a scrub, you may also need to check there's nothing blocking the filter at the base of you machine (if you have one there of course..)

MirandaGoshawk Sun 12-Jun-11 14:01:26

Thank you Ladies - the white vinegar has worked smile

Mega - I put the soap drawer in the dishwasher (as recommended on another thread) and have cleaned out the filter. Found 20p!

valiumredhead Sun 12-Jun-11 16:50:04

Soda crystals - half a bag in the drum on the hottest wash, once a week.

MirandaGoshawk Sun 12-Jun-11 21:47:29

valium that sounds good as a preventative, I'll get some. Thanks. We live in a hard-water area so no doubt the pipes are bunged up & soda crystals would help.

sunshinenanny Thu 16-Jun-11 22:42:38

You can get very good descalers such as oust to maintain washing machines. The problem is caused by all the low temperature washes that we do now and it's recommended that you put the machine through a hot wash with nothing in it every six weeks or so to keep soap scum and mould at bay.smile

Using calgon or a cheaper alternative water softener in every wash stops limescale forming and extends the life of the machine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now