Talk

Advanced search

How do I find a reputable cleaner, and what should I expect to pay?

(8 Posts)
VivClicquot Thu 09-Jun-11 20:26:07

Title says it all really! We had our PFB six weeks ago and as you can imagine, I am struggling to keep on top of keeping our house as clean and tidy as I'd like. DH does more than his fair share, but I think I'd rather make things easier on us both by getting somebody in to do a general top to bottom houseclean for, say, 3 hrs a day, once a week.

So where do I start looking? And what's the going rate? Am in South Manchester and live in a 3 bedroomed semi...

DorothyGherkins Fri 10-Jun-11 15:19:13

Congrats on the new one! Yes, do get a cleaner, three hours a week will help you keep on top of floors, toilets and the hard used areas, and give you more time to spend with little one.

I am a cleaner in Macclesfield, and to be honest, it seems like good cleaners are like gold dust. I charge my clients between 8 pounds to ten pounds an hour (new clients are charged 10 pounds) which seems to be the going rate around here. An agency would charge you more.

I advertised in post office windows etc - do you know anyone else who could recommend you one? Once you find a cleaner, treat her well, and she will look after you for as long as you need her!

Good luck, and I hope this helps. I am fully booked, otherwise I would offer you my services! Enjoy the baby.

CMOTdibbler Fri 10-Jun-11 15:33:36

I found my current cleaner via a card in the local Tescos, and she is a lifesaver. I pay £7.50 an hour, cash, and in 3 hours she does our 5 bed from top to bottom.

VivClicquot Fri 10-Jun-11 19:36:30

Thank you both! smile Dorothy - I was expecting something in the region of £10 per hour so good to know I was in the right ball park. I googled cleaning agencies in Manchester, but there are so many and I wondered whether they would be more expensive than someone who cleans independently.

mrsravelstein Fri 10-Jun-11 19:38:52

i got my excellent cleaning lady from this agency which operates as a franchise, so it's a local lady who organises it. i pay the cleaner 7 quid ph, and a fee to the agency which iirc is about 2 quid ph on top.

www.timeforyou.co.uk/

DorothyGherkins Fri 10-Jun-11 22:12:53

I actually acquired some of my clients from postcards they had put in shops "Cleaner wanted in this area" - might it be worth trying that?

SpeedyGonzalez Fri 10-Jun-11 22:14:38

I'd get a friend's recommendation if I were you.

Congrats on baby!

ipredicttrouble Fri 17-Jun-11 15:13:05

I found mine using Maid2Clean. I'm not from your area but I think it's a nationwide company.

I pay £10 p/h. 6.50 to the cleaner and the rest to the agency.

Very happy with everything at the moment. 3hrs per week will certainly make a big difference. Congrats on your LO. I'm due to have DC2 in less than a week and am certainly glad to have finally taken the plunge and got a cleaner. It's helping to take the pressure of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now