Talk

Advanced search

Soooo much 'stuff'!

(4 Posts)
LizinFrance Wed 08-Jun-11 12:19:13

Hi there,

Please help - we are 6 in our house - 4 kids, 12, 10, 4 and 1. I am really starting to feel overun with toys, puzzles, games, clothes to grow into and shoes!!

Any sorting/storage ideas for each of these things please before I become completely buried! They have a room each, so things can be stored in their rooms. We are all terrible horders (spelling?) particularly my oldest daughter, 12. Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Liz

coansha Thu 09-Jun-11 08:35:55

We used the plastic storage containers and found them very useful, each person has their own and if you have lots of stuff buy several and label outside.
We also used the vacuum bags, labelled age and season too, its amazing what you can fit in.
I am a great believer in if its not been used in past 2 years eBay or charity shop it, but obviously go through it all first to see if it has a possible future use, but think ahead of size & season as they don't always go hand in hand and its not worth hanging on to if not.
With toys apart from a few special favourites, go through them as some may be old & broken, we used to have a toy box(old blanket box type thing) and that had all the toys they could play with in living areas and rotated every few weeks, they think they have got new toys as have forgotten they had many of them, anything else had to go in their own rooms until we got a playroom.
I love a good clear out.

TimeWasting Thu 09-Jun-11 08:52:07

Declutter. You can't organise clutter.

If the kids are reluctant to get rid of stuff, you can lead by example.

Any clothes that don't fit you, get rid of.
Anything you don't use, get rid of.
Any novels you've read and won't read again, get rid of.

Don't hold on to things in case you might need it. You probably won't and if you do, so what? You've either sold it at the car boot/ebay for ready cash, or you've donated it to a good cause.

When the kids see you lightening your own burden, they'll join in too.
You don't need to do it all at once, but it will make the organising and storage much easier.

janeyjampot Thu 09-Jun-11 11:08:15

I've just got my 2 DDs (12 & 13) into decluttering by letting them sell anything they don't want any more on ebay. They keep the money they make, which they are saving for holiday spending money.

Apart from the decluttering, it's also been good for helping them to understand money and business. They are keeping a spreadsheet of costs/income and seem to be managing it really well (although of course I am keeping an eye on things).

So far it's working for us, anyway!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: