Talk

Advanced search

Steam Ovens - good thing or just for those with money to burn?

(5 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 07-Jun-11 23:20:06

Was all set on getting a lovely new normal Miele oven when SIL raised queries about the chemicals emitted by catalytic ovens. Does anyone have a steam oven and would you recommend one? TIA

AnonymousBird Wed 08-Jun-11 19:08:19

My mum and dad have one. Three things:

They have money to burn.

They still have a regular oven for all their meat and bakes.

They only use their steam oven to do the things I would use a.. errr... steamer for.

They do love it though, and virtually caress and speak lovingly to it, but they are in their 60s, have far too much time on their hands and don't get out enough!

In other words, unless you can do everything in it and are having it completely instead of your other oven (and how on earth would you brown/crisp something?!) then I'd say walk straight on past and spend the cash elsewhere.

DisparityCausesInstability Wed 08-Jun-11 19:26:05

I thought you could bake bread in them - the steam option gives a better crust -I was almost tempted but a heat proof cup of water in the oven would have the same effect.

Putthatbookdown Mon 13-Jun-11 22:02:20

Waste of money We have been looking at all these new ovens and they are not good value Traditional ovens are actually more versatile -though some of the more expensive microwaves might also be good Panasonic quoted a lot here

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 19-Jun-11 21:46:33

Thanks for your responses. I am tempted by the conventional Miele oven which has a larger capacity than most ovens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now