Talk

Advanced search

Overrun by Lego - storage ideas needed!!

(27 Posts)
toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Mon 06-Jun-11 19:55:40

DS turned 5 recently and got lots and lots of lovely Lego, which is ace. Except that its taking over my house!!! little bits spread everywhere and he seems to expect me to know where any required little bit has landed!

So, we need a storage solution. DS can be quite particular and wants to keep his Star Wars lego seperate from the Atlantis lego seperate from the standard lego etc. Some bits like Lukes landspeeder are quite big but others are little individual characters. I think something with different size drawers like a toolbox on top of art/craft drawers storage idea might work?

I am assuming the Lego obsession will go on for a number of years so am willing to get something decent that really suits the job but any vfm brilliant ideas very very welcome in the meantime also! Help!!

valiumredhead Tue 07-Jun-11 12:17:43

If you aren't bothered by what it looks like then this solved our Lego problem!

www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=8753407&c_3=3%7Ccat_14417975%7CUnits+With+Drawers%7C14417992&c_2=2%7Ccat_16849245%7CStorage+and+Shelving%7C14417975&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CFurniture+and+Homewares%7C16849245

Sorry for the ridiculously long link! Not pretty but very practical and can be easily put away at the end of the day.

littlelapin Tue 07-Jun-11 12:27:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsgboring Tue 07-Jun-11 12:46:20

That Store'n'Go looks very good.

We use a toolbox (well several now!) with small item storage in the top, an inner, lift out tray for current projects, minifigs and those all important wheels, and then a big bit at the bottom for everything else.

You could have several toolboxes, one for each range. (we are Lego obsessives in our house but even so the stuff multiplies in the night)

The challenge is keeping the small bits separate from the big bits, something my DSs and DH don't seem to care about much. I sometimes fantasise about some kind of nested basket storage so that the small bits naturally drop to the bottom but the larger stuff can be lifted out above it. [anorak emoticon]

Bellbird Tue 07-Jun-11 13:21:53

Several plastic toolboxes are what we use with our kids (8 and 5) for classic bricks. We also bought some food saver tubs for special Lego. It sounds organised and well-meaning, but it isn't quite as clear-cut in reality... as my five year old regularly does Lego fusion and we have hybridised Creator, Toy Story, Medieval and City stuff and he wanders around with it as a acts out stories.

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 07-Jun-11 13:24:33

I use Ikea storage buckets/containers for my DS's lego - they come in different sizes and are transparent plastic so can see exactly what is inside ...

AnnieLobeseder Tue 07-Jun-11 13:27:44

We had a huge flat box which slid under my brother's bed, almost the size of the bed. It wsa great, because if you have a shallow container with lots of surface area, it's much easier to find the bits you need. Then just chuck everything in there. Keeping Lego sepatate and organised is defeating the purpose, IMO! smile

QuintessentialOldMoo Tue 07-Jun-11 13:28:21

Bedrollers.
They are low and wide, with castors, and with lids, so you can stack them on top of each other too!

This means you can keep the lego in while you build, and it is so low that children can easily find the bricks they are looking for.

QuintessentialOldMoo Tue 07-Jun-11 13:28:45

ah, same idea as Annie, I see! grin

ILoveDrKarl Tue 07-Jun-11 13:36:14

I'm with Annie and OldMoo - 1 big box here with standard bricks, city, atlantis, hero factory, star wars and belleville all mixed in together then 2 trays (1 for each child currently old enough to play with lego) for them to work and sort pieces on. I am actually pretty anal about tidiness and keeping toys in the "right" box - but the best thing about lego is using your imagination so it's different from anything else! (woebetide anyone who puts a bit of duplo or playmobile in the lego box though!) wink

bumpybecky Tue 07-Jun-11 13:40:43

ikea trofast unit, the one that's fairly low and has got three sets of drawers

we've got 7 small drawers and one medium, small drawers easier to rummage through to find the right bits

DH then cut a board to go on top of the unit that is slightly larger than the drawers that fits and supports 4 x 2 lego base boards

job done smile

tbh though, that only fits about 1/4 of the lego, the rest is in the loft! and the duplo lives separately. We have a lot of lego!

pinkhebe Tue 07-Jun-11 13:40:51

we have 5! large tool boxes with the individual compartments for bog standard lego (we have one for people alone)

All the star wars lego is made and displayed on 4 shelves (may need another one blush

Atlantis/indiana/castle/rock monsters/ etc are in different plastic boxes.

We dh had to become organised anal about the lego as the kids stopped playing with it as they could never find the bits.

Woe betide any random visiting child mucking up The System grin

littlelapin Tue 07-Jun-11 13:42:23

sooz28 Tue 07-Jun-11 13:46:35

QuintessentialOldMoo Tue 07-Jun-11 13:47:44

you need more beds then, lapin. grin

littlelapin Tue 07-Jun-11 13:49:11

Bellbird Tue 07-Jun-11 13:54:28

DH had three younger sibs and by the time the youngest was into Lego it had completely merged - Result? The canny youngest sib inherited (and kept) the lot and he is the one with no kids...

This kind of explains our need for a System as pinkhebe describes.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Tue 07-Jun-11 19:28:09

wow thank you for all the replies, will def look into these ideas. keep 'em coming!!

Driftwood999 Thu 09-Jun-11 17:04:59

I am of a very different opinion blush A big part of the fun to be had from Lego is the searching. The time comsuming sound of Lego bricks being tipped out and rubbed over on the floor is surely a parent's delight? When playing with Lego alongside children, looking for that "particular" bit is a shared pleasure. No? It's about problem solving, the challange, ask any man builder. The only storage solution we have ever used it that it all gets put away into a big box, not left on the floor, except for the models which were displayed and enjoyed until we needed the space!

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 17:09:20

we have towers of these www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 17:32:35

Like this but you can choose different colours useless website though

www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/tTower11x4l.php

mrsgboring Fri 10-Jun-11 13:17:14

Thank you so much sooz28. (sorry only just seen this) Will have a look at it.

BoffinMum Sun 12-Jun-11 22:09:28

Legoland shop sells special storage containers with little drawers.

browneyesblue Sun 12-Jun-11 22:32:50

Perhaps not exactly what you were looking for, but there is a v. creative idea here

SarkyLady Sun 12-Jun-11 22:38:29

I bought about 20 clear stackable storage boxes of varying sizes from Staples. Eack one has a sticky label at the end and they are stacked inside a fairly standard cupboard. Works brilliantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now