Talk

Advanced search

Seat covers - has anyone made their own?

(10 Posts)
alana39 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:52:49

The chairs in our dining room are disgusting - the seat covers are a cream fabric which seemed like a good idea before having kids but they are no longer cream (water marks from cleaning stains, felt tip etc) and 2 of them are ripped which is like a magnet to boys who like picking foam and spreading it around.

I'd like to make covers to protect them (reupholstering is a longer term plan) - could anyone please suggest where I might get a pattern from / any other ideas? I don't have a sewing machine at the moment so need to do by hand.

Thanks

MumblingRagDoll Sun 05-Jun-11 15:58:10

My Dad did it. The best method is to take the existing covers carefully apart at the seams and use the pieces to make a new pattern...you can draw around them onto paper....making note of anywhere there are darts or notches....iron the unpicked fabric before you lay them onto paper.
It's not hard...just takes patience and care.

MumblingRagDoll Sun 05-Jun-11 15:58:39

Use a seam ripper to undo the stitches....

BikeRunSki Sun 05-Jun-11 16:08:19

Would these do as a stop gap?

peachybums Sun 05-Jun-11 22:21:48

I did it with some chairs for my mum. Took of the seat pads and drew round them on grease proof paper. measured the depth and a bit extra to fit under the pad then drew the allowence round the drawing i just took. I Took the pattern and drew round it onto back of fabric with chalk. Cut out. I then placed the fabric over the seat pad making notches in the fabric where needed to ensure a good fit. Then i pulled the whole thing as tight as i could and stapled the fabric onto the seat pad. Then i polished the wood to make it look a little bit nicer.

No sewing required, lovely new chairs...well almost haha!

Cutiecat Sun 05-Jun-11 22:27:49

I have done this. I unscrewed the fabric covered pad section, drew around it and machined two short sections to form the front to corners. I then staple gunned the fabric over the existing fabric. Screwed the pad back on and hey presto job done. They look fun. In fact one of them is a bit stained now and I have realised I could probably unscrew it and wash the piece of fabric.

Easy and cheap way to revamp chairs.

Cutiecat Sun 05-Jun-11 22:28:44

Sorry peachybums just realised I cross posts with you.

alana39 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:12:48

Thanks everyone, I think the Ikea covers cost more than I was hoping to spend (6 seats) but I will use the ideas about using the existing covers as a pattern and have a go.

newnamenickname Tue 07-Jun-11 12:13:19

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1220470/Trail/searchtext%3ECHAIR+COVERS.htm These are £7.99 a pair in argos at present.

I don't know if these are any good for you? But they may be cheaper and easier than making your own?

I bought these lately to cover some spare dining chairs to go into another room (not the same colour furniture so wanted to disguise the colour of the dark wood with these) and they are ok.

Other colours available but not on sale, so are about £25 a pair for red, cream and black I think.

alana39 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:52:14

Thanks newname - unfortunately would need to be cream so too expensive again. I'm quite happy just covering the seat pad so less fabric and should be cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now