Talk

Advanced search

Which vacuum cleaner?

(15 Posts)
LakeFlyPie Sun 05-Jun-11 10:00:47

I've always used an upright vacuum cleaner and have found my Dyson great but it is now old and flagging and will need to be replaced if DP's overhaul doesn't improve it's performance.

We're about to have wood flooring fitted into kitchen / diner and sitting room with carpet remaining in rest of house.

Am completely ignorant of the merits of upright vs cylinder and the virtues of one brand over another.

I'd be very grateful for some wisdom to be shared and recommendations of models / suppliers.

TIA

Iggly Sun 05-Jun-11 16:11:23

we had a dyson upright then switched to a Sebo (cylinder). You can get ones with heads that work on both wood floor and carpet and a head just for carpet. It's so much easier to move about and even though it's a bagged vacuum, it's less messy to replace the bag than empty the dyson!

Sebos are very well made, much quieter than the dyson we had (ours has a sliding scale of suction power which is great) and feels much more solid.

I think sebos (and meiles) are much better than dyson.

Stirrings Sun 05-Jun-11 20:26:02

a Henry.

emsyj Sun 05-Jun-11 20:28:18

I've got a Miele cylinder and I use it on parquet, carpet and tiles. I love it and it has taken a lot of abuse over the last 7 years with no sign of giving up.

I believe Sebo are very good too, but never tried one.

Madlizzy Sun 05-Jun-11 20:28:54

Henry.

izzybiz Sun 05-Jun-11 20:29:08

Henry.

Pykel Sun 05-Jun-11 20:30:11

Henry

arfanarf Sun 05-Jun-11 20:35:15

Another vote for Henry - works well on hard flooring and carpet.

Lasts forever too.

Iggly Sun 05-Jun-11 21:00:42

Blimey - am I the only person who hated the Henry? It just didn't pick up very well at all - the sebo is miles apart!

Jellykat Sun 05-Jun-11 21:16:38

Another Henry here- Although i've been waiting for mine to die, and he won't, even tho' he's ancient and has worked hard .. I want to buy a Hetty next (i like pink, shoot me).

TheBolter Sun 05-Jun-11 21:19:24

Had a semi-argument with Dh over our dying Henry today. He swears by them (as a builder he gets to use a lot of them when clearing up mess), I'd like to try a Dyson this time.

However since reading this thread I am thinking perhaps the Henry is best after all - we have a mix of slate, wood, flagstone and carpet in our house and it seems to cope well with all.

TheBolter Sun 05-Jun-11 21:20:13

(WhenI said our Henry was dying, it wasn't - just needed its bag changed. It's lasted us since our wedding in 2002).

Mollymax Sun 05-Jun-11 21:31:10

Henry all the way.
Really dislike Dysons, apart from our hand held one.

easycomeeasygo Tue 07-Jun-11 23:36:52

please dont buy a dyson cylinder, i break my back everytime i use mine, its crap on laminate and crap on carpet, i cant wait until it breaks so i can buy a new one, preferably an upright, I always used uprights before this heap of rubbish...biggest mistake i made.

LakeFlyPie Wed 08-Jun-11 11:22:18

Thanks for all the replies.

My old Dyson hasn't perked up with DP's overhaul, so looks like we need a new model.

Henry seems popular but superficially I'm not keen on is perpetual grin.

I like the look of this Miele.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: