Talk

Advanced search

Smelly vacuum

(8 Posts)
Curlybrunette Sat 04-Jun-11 22:28:26

Hi everyone,
For a while now my vacuum has smelt when it's being used, really bad vomit smell. It's bagless one and I've emptied it and couldn't see any blockages anywhere.
We did then get a blockage in the pipe and the only way we could clear it was to put it in the shower and let the water force the blockage through. Since then it's started smelling more like fish, which I am guessing is to do with the pipe getting wet and not drying properly?
Any suggestions on how to make the smell go?

Thanks
x

Beamur Sat 04-Jun-11 22:30:16

Shake n vac?
grin

twonker Sun 05-Jun-11 00:31:55

bicarbonate of soda?

Curlybrunette Mon 06-Jun-11 18:28:41

Thanks, so I just suck them up like normal? I've got bicarb in so will try that first

x

MollysChamber Tue 07-Jun-11 09:53:02

Put some cotton wool with a few drops of essential oil in to the drum bit.

Curlybrunette Tue 07-Jun-11 12:39:13

Ahhh good idea Molly thanks, I tried the bicarb this morning but have got some lavender oil so will put that in now.

PigletJohn Tue 07-Jun-11 15:01:20

take it apart, as well as you can, and sponge it with washing up liquid and wipe dry.

If it has dust filters, take them out and wash them (if mean) or replace with new.

Have you got a dog? They are notorious for making vacs smell. You have to empty it frequently or it will smell of Resident Dust (true).

You can also get some anti-athsma granules that you vac up, they stay in the dust container and seem to kill smells.

Curlybrunette Tue 07-Jun-11 20:18:48

Thanks PigletJohn, I'll take it all apart tomorrow. No we haven't got a dog. Don't know where the smell came from.

I'll look for the anti-asthma granules

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now