Talk

Advanced search

Le cruset - burnt/chipped bottom of casserole

(8 Posts)
Makinglists Thu 02-Jun-11 07:30:52

I lit the gas under an empty le cruset casserole dish yesterday - now it smells awful and a small chip has appeared in the lining. This dish has been my trusty friend for over 10 years (it was a wedding pres). Can I still use it (if I can get rid of the smell)? - can I get it repaired at all??

Thanks for any advice!!!

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jun-11 07:52:31

they are very heat resistant. Is it discoloured, or has it lost its shine?

does it have any plastic parts that got overheated, like the knob on the lid?

I occasionally give mine a clean with a nylon pan scourer and washing up liquid if anything has got burned on. But I don't recognise the smell you mention. Might it be old fat residues?

If there is a chip on the enamel inside, I don't believe you can get it repaired. Any paint or resin is not goping to be so heatproof. Some of mine have the odd chip and it has not spread. You would have to be careful not to leave it lying in water in case it gets rusty. After cleaning, just wipe it round inside with a spot of cooking oil on a bit of kitchen roll, as usual.

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jun-11 07:53:23

p.s. I hope you didn't try to cool it down with water?

moonbells Thu 02-Jun-11 08:16:54

You can get it repaired - saw a thread on here a while ago about a place which re-enamels the pans and casseroles. But it's not cheap!

Might have to dig to find the link though...

moonbells Thu 02-Jun-11 08:19:06

http://www.ajwells.com/

Here's the old thread
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/good_housekeeping/1016094-Le-Creuset-disaster-What-do-I-do-Help/

Rangirl Thu 02-Jun-11 08:36:59

Try soaking in bio soap powder Good luck

Makinglists Thu 02-Jun-11 10:38:35

Thanks for your suggestions all - it smells a bit better now its been through the dishwasher and the chip is quite small - I assume I won't poison the family if I still cook in it???!!!!

piebald Fri 03-Jun-11 07:27:36

Mine has many chips and a massive crack down one side and i still use it cant bear to chuck it or afford to buy new one!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: