Talk

Advanced search

Every house needs one

(14 Posts)
LordOfTheFlies Wed 01-Jun-11 23:14:46

A pantry.
When our extension was done part of the old kitchen that was under the stairs was turned into a pantry.
Not quite in a Nigella pantry way, but I love to stand there,shut the door and just smugly gaze at my dried goods. Aaahhh.

coansha Thu 02-Jun-11 05:01:36

Pantries are alive and flourishing in Australia!! They are fabulous, much better than useless cupboards on the floor. Sadly my house (in oz) doesn't have one but when we return to Uk I will installing one.
Everything to hand and in sight, just great.

shelscrape Thu 02-Jun-11 05:06:58

Pantrys are also alive and thriving in New Zealand. Oh how I love my pantry! Sad but true, I even have all my flour, dried fruit and spices in jars with labels on blush

Rillyrillygoodlooking Thu 02-Jun-11 05:07:24

Pantries are also present in NZ kitchens. Some are just big kitchen cupboards to be fair.

A kiwi who came to my house, said she didn't know how I coped with such a small pantry cupboard. Errrr, worse than at home coz it is a complete mess with stuff right at the back, blocked by everything else, so I end up with loads of opened bags of rice or whatever...

I'd love a walk in pantry tho.

Bonsoir Thu 02-Jun-11 05:22:39

I agree, walk-in pantries are fabulous. My mother has one (in England) but here in Paris we have something called a garde manger which is a cupboard under the kitchen window on the outside wall which is supposedly ventilated and was what people used for storing food before they had refrigerators. It gets very dirty and unhygienic sad.

crabb Thu 02-Jun-11 05:45:50

I think the walk-in pantry was the main selling point for my current house (you can see the pic in my profile). (Disclaimer - this was the estate agent's photo, it's not nearly so tidy now blush). I could envisage myself retreating in there, closing the door, and helping myself to a glass of red from the insulated wine store - that's the door on the left - when life became too much.

cubscout Thu 02-Jun-11 09:57:30

Pantry and utility are my 2 big wishes! I'm sick of cupboards stuffed full of stuff I can't see, not to mention not being able to take advantage of offers and bulk buy.

I have pantry envy. I am sad.

DaisySteiner Thu 02-Jun-11 10:27:49

We did exactly the same when we had our extension done. It is papered in Cath Kidstone-esque paper (that I found for £1 a roll!) and lined with shelves. I love it smile

DontCallMeBaby Thu 02-Jun-11 10:38:51

crabb your pantry is bigger than my kitchen.

<<joins cubscout in the pantry envy corner>>

kansasmum Thu 02-Jun-11 17:07:25

I had a pantry in our house in the USA- it was wonderful and my kitchen was so tidy! I really mis it- Crabb your pantry is fabulous!
I am having my kitchen remodelled this year but have no space for walk in pantry but am having 2 big pull out larders.

Hassled Thu 02-Jun-11 17:11:33

I want a pantry so badly. I have one of those cupboards where you pull the door forwards and it all slides out, but it's not the same. Nigella has a particularly fine pantry, I've noticed.

Rillyrillygoodlooking Fri 03-Jun-11 00:57:07

Oh my goodness, Crabb 's pantry is gorgeous!

Gingefringe Tue 07-Jun-11 11:26:29

Crabb Is that a pantry? Looks like a decent sized kitchen to me. Sooo envious.

We have an understairs cupboard which is full of junk - seriously thinking about having it wallpapered and shelved now!!

ComeWhineWithMe Tue 07-Jun-11 11:27:50

My pantry has a tumble dryer in it and dp's tools <slattern>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now