Talk

Advanced search

What to do about a whiffy washer?

(11 Posts)
MadamMemoo Wed 01-Jun-11 21:32:52

It has a really horrible musty smell about it. Was thinking of maybe adding some bleach and putting it through a really hot wash but not sure if that's the best thing to do???

farming4 Wed 01-Jun-11 22:45:12

Try running it through empty on the hottest setting with a small amount of bio washing powder (too much and there will be suds everywhere!) has to be bio to digest any build up of grease and dirt in the machine. I have to do this at least once a month due to a farmer dh and using non-bio powder! hth

shuckleberryfinn Wed 01-Jun-11 22:50:10

tea tree oil on an intensive wash. then a normal wash, then a wash with nothing in till theres no bubbles. I do that regularly cos I CBA to rinse my nappies in the bath...

TwoWeeSausages Wed 01-Jun-11 22:59:06

Once a month I run mine on the longest wash (usually a 95 degree wash) with Soda Crystals and some Fabric Softener. Seems to work!

MadamMemoo Wed 01-Jun-11 23:37:21

Thanks all

DisparityCausesInstability Thu 02-Jun-11 19:57:14

Try using biological powder for a while - seems to have sorted ours out. That and bleach, boil washes and lots of perserverence.

mrsravelstein Thu 02-Jun-11 19:59:57

dr beckmann washing machine cleaner, you can get it from tesco.

also if you haven't already done it, try taking out the detergent drawer and giving it a very thorough wash (i didn't realise until i did this just how scummy it had got)

CroissantNeuf Thu 02-Jun-11 20:03:33

We had a problem with ours a while ago -it gave off a smell like stagnant drain water.

Anyway I tried all the usual ideas (bleach, empty boil wash, washing drawer etc) all of which only seemed to help for a wash or two.

What does seem to have worked is swapping to using powder in the drawer (I'd been using liquid in a ball in the drum until then).

Haven't had a problem since

pollymere Thu 09-Jun-11 19:11:37

would recommend vanish in wash extra hygiene - run a hanky through the wash with a large scoop of it in the drawer. I would also check the rubber seal on the door - mine gets filthy and needs cleaning out occasionally.

awaywiththepixies Fri 10-Jun-11 14:28:05

Cup of white vinegar works too.

PeanutButter99 Sat 11-Jun-11 17:34:59

What mrsravelstein said. My drawer was disgusting and since I've cleaned it, no smell!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: