Talk

Advanced search

Mystery moths- any ideas??

(40 Posts)
0131trojan1 Fri 20-May-11 20:10:08

We have small golden coloured moths, which disintegrate into powder if you catch them. Just odd ones, maybe see one or two each day at most.
No sign of them causing any damage ( no holey clothes, etc.), but don't know where they've come from, or whether I just haven't spotted the damage yet. Any ideas what they are?

EldonAve Fri 20-May-11 20:10:42

clothes moths

0131trojan1 Sat 21-May-11 07:51:52

Was afraid it might be. What do I do now?

pinkhebe Sat 21-May-11 07:57:27

you can buy traps from amazon, we have moths too sad

ours were in the airing cupboard. But they might be house moths which you'll find in your dry goods

lljkk Sat 21-May-11 08:36:06

Make sure U don't leave slightly worn or wet clothes in dark cupboards (all conditions they like)

2BoysTooLoud Sun 22-May-11 07:15:37

Check your carpets too - especially if wool/ wool mix.

0131trojan1 Mon 23-May-11 15:24:06

Hi pinkhebe
Thanks for Amazon tip-They have lots, which one did you get? And do they smell like mothballs or better?

0131trojan1 Mon 23-May-11 15:29:10

Have just had another closer look on Amazon. My (!!) moths are tiny ( about 1cm) and pale gold. The ones on these packets look much bigger- sorry, clutching at straws here. Did the Amazon trap work?

2BoysTooLoud Mon 23-May-11 15:46:36

Have you checked your carpets?
Bits will come up when you vacuum but only in certain areas. You may wonder why carpet wearing out in odd places. They are like you describe and disintegrate into dust when you splat them..

0131trojan1 Thu 26-May-11 19:42:52

OMG- could be in the carpets! Thanks, 2BoysTooLoud.
Has anyone actually had these moths and managed to get rid of them completely????????????????????????

smilesandsun Thu 26-May-11 23:25:56

we have had those moths, lots of them and touch wood they seem to be gone...

we had to get the place sprayed as there were so many (moved into a new house with them!?!?).

then there are these things called demi diamonds that you can buy online and hang in cupboards and spaces where you think they might be. The moths are attracted to them so at least you can see where the problem lies and tackle it that way.

we also put the moth paper in all drawers and cupboards

good luck!

hastingsmum Fri 27-May-11 22:53:34

Can I jump in here too please, mine seem similar, gold in colour, looks like mosquitos but are slow and can easily be killed. When you say disintegrate when squashed, do you mean that you can't see any legs or anything? Our ones turn into small brown stains on the wallpaper.
I think they came from the fireplace (in the bedroom) originally and they are now everywhere in my bedroom and spare room on 2nd floor.

They seem to like the cupboards and drawers and also thefireplace and chimney.

Are they moths?
I thought I'd managed to get rid of them by hoovering but the numbers have again "exploded".

They are so disgusting...

AlsoAvailableSober Fri 27-May-11 22:56:51

Carpet moths. Watch out for the white egg cases on your carpet under sofas etc. We got rid of ours by replacing all our carpet and curtains with synthetic fibres. Rather expensive but was the only way....

hastingsmum Fri 27-May-11 23:05:22

We are renting privately, what a nightmare! How big are the egg cases? I haven't seen anything odd, but then we have an incredibly heavy IKEA bed which doesn't tend to be moved a lot blush

AlsoAvailableSober Fri 27-May-11 23:07:38

Only a few mm, but we had LOADS of them. Even hoovering them up daily did nothing sad. We also had plug in zapper things which did catch a fair few, just not enough!

hastingsmum Fri 27-May-11 23:14:24

Grose... I wonder (or rather I don't want to think) where the infestation is? We have two large wardrobes in the bedroom and I've never cleaned behind them, that's a likely place then I suppose... Yuk!

chloesmumtoo Sat 28-May-11 11:41:42

I think my parents got rid of them just by removing the woollen mix carpet as they was under the sofa. They are gross when you get loads of them. Think they crawl up walls as little catapillars then hatch out!

megagusset Sat 28-May-11 17:43:57

You could try sprinkling the suspect areas of carpet with diatomaceous earth - it dessicates the larvae of moths, carpet beetles etc.

www.stopmoths.co.uk/Diatomaceous-Earth

hastingsmum Sat 28-May-11 21:55:49

Sorry, can't get link to work, will have a search for it later when all kids asleep. Is it safe around kids?
Have just shone with a light under my bed and they seem to be everywhere, actually consider phoning pest people

megagusset Sun 29-May-11 20:36:40

sorry, try this one?

www.stopmoths.co.uk/

0131trojan1 Wed 01-Jun-11 22:32:21

hastingsmum, yours sound so much worse than mine- mine are definitely moths, don't look anything like mosquitoes, and don't leave a stain when squished, they just turn into powder.
I cleared out under our bed, too ( as its super kingsize, impossible to move,and I'd been putting off doing it for years...) Found lots ( and lots) of dust- yuck! but only moths, so don't think it can be our bedroom carpet.

Will check out demi diamonds- thanks smilesandsun.

hastingsmum Wed 01-Jun-11 23:32:13

trojan, sounds like your bed is just like ours, lol. Hubby hoovered under it 2 days ago and we see less of them now but numbers seem to be on the rise again

0131trojan1 Sat 04-Jun-11 17:27:33

hastingmum- am superimpressed- you managed to get your hubby to hoover under the bed! Don't want to tempt fate, but have actually seen any moths this week at all......................

hastingsmum Sat 04-Jun-11 23:02:00

lol....wink fingers crossed for you

Beamur Sat 04-Jun-11 23:12:22

Sounds like clothes moths - I have them too. V hard to completely eradicate.
Check rugs/wool hangings/any clothes you have stored away or haven't moved or used lately. They need moisture, so favour wool, skins, fur and worn clothes, if they can't get these they will live on dust. Vacuum, vacuum and vacuum some more. Remember to put a moth killer in the bag or throw the bag out otherwise they will just crawl out when its switched off.
Hoover edges of rooms and move stuff around to make sure you don't miss anywhere. Put things away in zippable, moth proof bags.
Sticky pheremone traps are good, also use lavender and other similar products in things you want to store, I put killer strips into everything now. You really have to keep on top of it.
Check all things like wicker baskets too and hoover them clean.
Male moths can fly, the females are flightless.
We get the case bearing ones which spin little cocoons, and I've sealed up DP's wool hangings in plastic with moth balls to try and kill them off.
I've thrown away clothes, rugs and ornaments - we had a couple of skin drums from holiday and they were crawling with moth maggots - it was revolting.
I still get the odd one and I've been at this now for months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now