Talk

Advanced search

White bedlinen - which to choose?

(10 Posts)
gingerwench Fri 29-Apr-11 14:09:49

In the process of redecorating our main bedroom and wanting to buy new bedlinen in white. I'm not sure about going for White Company or John Lewis Pima range. It has to be 100% cotton and I'm happy to pay for high thread count and high quality. But does higher thread count make it harder to iron? I'm rubbish at ironing and making time to iron and although I don't mind slightly crumpled it would be a shame to spend a fortune on bedlinen that needs so much ironing htat we don't benefit from its quality. Recommendations please!

culturemulcher Fri 29-Apr-11 21:38:04

I've found that the highter the thread count, the easier it is to iron and fold - the material's weighty and just hangs flat - our 400 count sheets fold so flat and smooth I don't bother to iron them at all.
If you're going for a really good set, go for Ralph Lauren - such good quality it still looks great after years of constant use.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 29-Apr-11 21:40:17

Definitely if you can get 400 thread count - a doddle to iron. Take slightly longer to dry obviously but much easier to handle and last a lifetime.

gingerwench Sat 30-Apr-11 10:21:24

Thanks for that. Will start looking at 400 thread count...

culturemulcher Sat 30-Apr-11 23:24:03

or 500... grin

BagofHolly Mon 02-May-11 07:18:01

I'm obsessive about (lots of things) bedlinen and by far the nicest and most practical we have, is from the Tesco "Hotel" range. I was amazed. 100% cotton, subtle woven damask stripe, it washes beautifully, and a quick flick in the dryer and it doesn't need ironing. Can't recommend them enough, far better than Cotton and Cologne, and a quarter of the price.

HeavyHeidi Mon 02-May-11 15:36:32

At least 500, I would say. I have 1000 thread count from here:
kingofcotton.co.uk/

bluerodeo Mon 02-May-11 15:42:26

if you're near a house of fraser they had an amazing bed linen sale over the weekend - all 40% off - got a set (fittet sheet, flat sheet, 2 pillow cases) of 500 thread count for under £48. is lovely! on bed already. think was their own brand Linea? (never iron bed linen here)

gingerwench Mon 02-May-11 22:14:22

thanks all

no dryer unfortunately..but encouraged by other non-ironers!

oxcat1 Fri 17-Jun-11 09:51:31

TKMaxx very good for high thread counts at low prices, but you might have to go back a couple of times to get all the bits you need in the right sizes. Certainly well worth a look, particularly if just going for classy White.

I also just bought some lovely stuff from the sale range at Feather and Black. Not sure the thread count is that high, but the quality feels lovely. I bought the Chester bedding and it has given the room a really sweet vintage air - I hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now