Talk

Advanced search

Room scents that work?

(6 Posts)
Lovethesea Sun 30-Jan-11 10:04:10

Hoping to relocate soon and we'll be selling our house from a distance. I want to leave something to make it smell nice to potential buyers. Any recommendations, preferably something that works for more than a few hours!

TrollyMcTrollPants Sun 30-Jan-11 14:13:10

I find that a bid bunch of scented flowers works a treat for freshening a room. Don't quite trust these room fragrancers as they make me feel queasy. Freesias and Lilies are my favorite scented flowers.

ziggiz Sun 30-Jan-11 14:17:33

natural things like lavender on cotton wool balls left behind radiators - strong at first but after day 1 just right.

doricpatter Sun 30-Jan-11 14:19:33

I agree, hate artificial air fresheners. The only thing I have found which I do like is the Body Shop reed diffusers. I was given one last year and it lasted for months and months and wasn't overpowering or too artificial. They don't do that one anymore but they have a fair selection here.

Heroine Sun 30-Jan-11 14:22:34

I like the Boots geranium pillow spray, lightly into the air over carpets - works wonders and makes people all chilled

Byrdsong Sun 09-Nov-14 15:03:42

I too find these fragrancers - or so-called 'room fresheners' dreadful. Even those purporting to be 'natural' have a very persistent smell which is hard to get rid of. I never ever use them anywhere. They make me wheeze and cough and also appear to give rise to headaches.

I do wonder whether the rise in asthma isn't connected to items such as these plus all the strong-smelling detergents & conditioners that people use.

They work by blocking the adaptation of the sense of smell, a very primitive part of the brain and sensory system, so they mask other smells, persisting in all fabrics, especially man-made fibres. They also persist in our noses. A saline solution sniffed into the nostrils can help get rid of them.

I understand that there is research ongoing into why people who make & handle fragrancers frequently get eczema.

Any ideas for neutralising these ghastly perfumes will be welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now