Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning mould off of pushchair seat and straps?

(15 Posts)
BelieveInLife Wed 26-Jan-11 12:33:21

Hello ladies,

Went to get my 'holiday' buggy out of the shed yesterday and when I unfolded it the seat and straps have gone mouldy

The seat doesn't come off to machine wash it, and as it's black I can't use anything with bleach in it...so any suggestions please? Or am I just going to have to bin it?

pookey Wed 26-Jan-11 13:18:55

app the sun is good but obv we have none at mo. I have been researching this because I have a mould issue too and there is a website called moldblogger.com that might have some tips, I have more or less decided to bin my mouldy item.

BelieveInLife Wed 26-Jan-11 13:31:46

thanks pookey - will have a look at that website. Saw your thread, at least it's just a babygro you're binning, this buggy was quite expensive and we only used it for a 3 day holiday - DH will not be happy if I tell him it's going in the bin!

LooL00 Wed 26-Jan-11 14:16:23

Is it white mould or black mould? And are you sure you can't get the cover off?

BelieveInLife Wed 26-Jan-11 14:20:05

I know it sounds silly but how do I tell? It's white with black spots in it...
Yes definitely can't get the cover off.

NikonNelly Wed 26-Jan-11 14:34:20

Do you have a hand held steam cleaner? I had good results on mine with a steam cleaner I borrowed from a friend. I mixed some biological laundry powder with water, sprayed on and left for a day (damp but not dripping) and then went over with the steam cleaner.

BelieveInLife Wed 26-Jan-11 14:40:18

Ahhh that's a good idea, I do know someone with a steam cleaner. Thanks!

Do you think it will be 'safe' afterwards though, I never know what type of mould is dangerous and which isn't. Maybe I could add some napisan or something too?

NikonNelly Wed 26-Jan-11 14:46:04

I think so, if its really bad give it a scrub with a brush whilst wet to remove as much as possible, I did that on the bad bits. I thought steam cleaning it would be a bit like putting it a steam steriliser if you see what I mean. Make sure you test a inconspicuous bit of fabric first in case the steam damages it!

SchnitzelVonKrumm Wed 26-Jan-11 14:48:47

Neat Milton fluid, it's anti fungal

LooL00 Thu 27-Jan-11 13:43:10

The white mould is easy to deal with, just leave it out in hot sunshine then vacuum. The black spots are really hard to deal with and bleach, miltons etc might get it off.

Rieslinger Fri 28-Jan-11 16:11:45

I'm with NoN Bio dabbed on then steam then maybe even a good dose of Sun will kill any wee beasty!

frenchfancy Fri 28-Jan-11 17:06:44

I second milton. Scrub it with a nail brush and it will be fine.

Plumm Fri 28-Jan-11 17:31:23

I just sent my Bugaboo to Buggy Pit Stop and they cleaned it up nicely - it cist £108 including courier charges (obv only worth it if the buggy's an expensive one)

lyndajw Fri 16-May-14 09:36:48

Just read these posts as my babys highchair was stored in the shed and i pulled it out to sell only to find mold on the straps.Tryed a mold mildew spray but it did,nt work.Decided i will have to throw it which annoyed me because the rest of it was immaculate.Only by chance i was jet washing the patio and thought i will jet wash the straps, worth a try. I couldnt believe it, the mold has completely gone, they look brand new.

Tseina Tue 09-Aug-16 16:06:27

I'm going to have my 3rd child soon so I took out the old pram from the shed. It had some mold on the fabric and was quite dirty. Also the wheels had gone flat. I took it to Buggy Pitstop and they cleaned and repaired it. I was very impressed because it looked good as new and I found the price reasonable as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now