Talk

Advanced search

New kettle, water tastes disgusting

(15 Posts)
blackmonday Sun 23-Jan-11 15:09:49

I bought a new Morphy Richards kettle two weeks ago. I boiled and emptied it as suggested in the instructions but the water from it had a horrible metallic/plasticy taste. I must have boiled and emptied it countless times now and it is no better. I read on the internet to try bicarbonate of soda and vinegar which i have done but the foul taste remains. Does anyone have any idea what i can do to get rid of this? I can't return it to Argos as I have lost the receipt. I have emailed Morphy Richards but apparantly they take weeks to reply. From what I have read it is a common problem with Morphy Richard's kettles. I am a bit angry tbh as i am still having to use my old kettle and the new one wasn't cheap!

mousymouse Sun 23-Jan-11 15:13:15

boil it with white vinegar?

blackmonday Sun 23-Jan-11 15:22:34

tried that mousymouse, still the same. i think i could have probably bought another kettle with the amount i've spent on electricity boiling it over and over again.

blackmonday Tue 25-Jan-11 17:55:34

Just emailed morphy richards and they won't do anythig without a receipt so am now left with a kettle i can't use. just wondered if anyone else has any tips?

B52s Fri 28-Jan-11 13:13:58

is it a TCP taste at all? If so, this is due to the chlorine in the water reacting with the plastic in the kettle to produce TCP. Only way round this is to put water that has been left to stand overnight (in the fridge, uncovered) in the kettle as with time the chlorine dissipates from the water.

If it's a nasty plasticcy taste it may be worth trying that as well, but I suspect that you'll always have the problem with that kettle.

DreamTeamGirl Fri 28-Jan-11 14:13:17

blackmonday, Morphy Richards cant claim that about the receipt- what if it had been a gift?

No chance of finding the receipt I assume?

Rieslinger Fri 28-Jan-11 16:01:34

Try a big spoonful of Bicarb in a full kettle....rinse and repeat should go failry quickly.

headintheclouds Sat 29-Jan-11 21:59:35

Hi, I had exactly the same problem with a Morphy Richards kettle(pyramid shape and not cheap!) I had a huge problem getting it changed at Debenhams-they said because Id used it I couldnt exchange it!How do you know its foul water until you try it, was my argument. I kicked up a huge fuss in the shop,insisted that Debenhams rang Morphy Richards and sorted out the problem- in the end I got a credit slip to use in Debenhams. TBH I then went around sniffing kettles before I bought one(must have thought I was a nutter) but I did finally get an inoffensive kettle (from BHS own brand with a Toaster thrown in).
Good luck !

mercibucket Sat 29-Jan-11 22:03:39

you don't need a receipt - you need proof of purchase so if you bought it on a card you can use the statement as proof of purchase

lordjock Sun 20-Dec-15 19:39:52

Had the same problem with a morpht richards kettle that I bought from Amazon 2 years ago . They refunded me and told me to throw it out but i diddnt i kept it .Came across it today and boiled it up and the taint hasent gone away .It's a plastic kettle and Im beginning to think that morphy richards know more than we do

e1y1 Wed 23-Dec-15 12:09:53

Not helpful, but this is the reason i would never have a plastic kettle - of any make. Metal or glass.

stanley100 Thu 11-Aug-16 13:59:59

Yea, I bought a morphy richards . It is a metal kettle with plastic liner under the lid. The steam from the kettle condenses onto the plastic lid and drips back into the water making the next boil up taste disgusting.
The only solution is to completely change the water and wipe any condensation away from the underside of the lid with a clean dishcloth.
It seems morphy richards don't know how to make kettless any more.

Helpalot Tue 09-May-17 17:01:34

Hi just a quick answer try steradent, worked great for me.
About 4 tabs in a full kettle. Leave for 30 mins.

LoveGrammarHateBrexit Tue 09-May-17 17:20:54

If the product is not fit for purpose, then the retailer (not the manufacturer) has the legal obligation of giving you a refund, exchange or credit note even if you don't have the receipt.

Which?

LoveGrammarHateBrexit Tue 09-May-17 17:21:11

Oh FFS it's a zombie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now