Talk

Advanced search

How to get on the housing ladder : (

(4 Posts)
onthemoveyetagain Sun 16-Jan-11 12:00:27

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question - couldn't find another though.

Usual dilemma - can't get on the housing ladder. We have just returned from abroad and are spending £2,000 each month on a rented house. Have looked at lots of small houses to get it down but we are a family of six and that just wouldn't work. Have been living in the States so our furniture is all over-sized. Could put everything in storage but that would be a really short term solution and it would take ages to get to a place where we can afford a house and get it all back again.

The frustrating thing is that we can meet the £2,000 each month but do not have the huge deposit we need to get a mortgage (been told preferably 20% needed). So it looks like we are faced with renting for the rest of our lives. Anyone got out of this predicament???

onthemoveyetagain Sun 16-Jan-11 12:04:20

Just read this back again and hope I don't appear 'cocky' regarding being able to pay this a month. I really don't mean to sound that way. Obviously it is a huge chunk and means we just have to forget other luxuries. We have looked at lots of ways of getting this down - even viewed two bedroom houses which would not have worked and looked at moviing to other areas which isn't what we want to do. What I was trying to explain is that we have to pay that each month but it is a ridiculous amount to pay when we could be paying half that price if we were able to get a mortgage. Hope I am making sense without offending anyone sad.

eveningprimrose Sun 16-Jan-11 12:19:58

I think you would be better to post this in "money matters".
You will find it under "legal and money"

onthemoveyetagain Sun 16-Jan-11 12:42:12

Thank you eveningprimrose smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now