Talk

Advanced search

Can someone talk to me, reeealllyyy slooowly, about sewing name tapes on

(17 Posts)
MilkNoSugarPlease Wed 12-Jan-11 23:37:04

I KNOW I sound pathetic and rather idiotic, but I can't sew name tapes on!

I have TRIED! but they just are crumples or fall off!

Am a nanny and MumBoss is going to teach me how to sew them on hmm, I would like to avoid showing my utter incompetence in this field tbh!!

TIA

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 12-Jan-11 23:41:01

Use pins to hold them in place so they don't go wonky, then sew round the edges. Learned that from bitter experience of sewing about 1 million Cubs badges on.

Or you could cheat an iron them on with that gluey tape stuff.

doozle Wed 12-Jan-11 23:43:49

Tell us how you do it currently and then will try to help.

Are you putting a knot in the cotton at both ends?

Tbh, I might just accept the MB's offer because it's much easier to learn when you can see it done in person and she might want it done in a particular way. Not everyone knows how to sew and there's no shame in that.

DilemmawithcapitalD Thu 13-Jan-11 00:05:51

OK

1. place name tape on item of clothing where you want it to be eg usually neck area or back of trousers and pin securely along middle of label with pin going the long length of the label not across it

2. thread your needle using white cotton thread or a thread that matches the item of clothing (your stitching won't show as much). Use a length of thread about 10 to 12 inches (25 cm) long. Tie a double knot in the end of the thread.

3. start sewing along one of the long lengths of the label by putting your needle through back of label in the middle of one of the long sides only going in about 1 mm at edge. Pull the thread through until the knot rests unseen between back of label and clothing

4. continue to sew (usually left to right if you are right handed) along the long length of label. sew over and over the edges of the label using the tiniest stitches possible that are not deep and are spaced evenly and close together. Make sure that as you sew, you also catch a thread or two of material of clothing underneath which is what will secure two together. Try not to let your needle go right through the clothing or you will have a label shaped rectangle of stitches showing on the outside of the garment.

5. you can use a slip stitch or an oversewing stitch as illustrated
here

the slip stitch doesn't have to be two stitches together - one is good enough- the end result looks more like the oversewing stitch illustration

if you Google 'hand sewing' or 'basic sewing stitches' you will find lots of videos showing you the correct technique

6. when you are approaching one end of the label, fold the end over underneath itself (there is usually a line of different coloured thread to indicate where)and continue to sew around the fold

7. continue stitching neatly along all lengths and sides of label until you reach where you started. make a few small discreet stitches in same place underneath back of label and bring thread through and out the other side. cut off thread.

Voila! Good luck!

HeadsUp Thu 13-Jan-11 00:08:29

Don't bother get a Sharpie and write it on the label. It washes off after a while so keep a sharpie handy and renew when it fades.
saves time and tears.

DilemmawithcapitalD Thu 13-Jan-11 00:08:33

PS some people start and finish at one corner of the label which looks neater but starting in the middle is easier for a beginner

remove pin (obviously!)

dessen Thu 13-Jan-11 00:08:36

One word - biro

MilkNoSugarPlease Thu 13-Jan-11 00:11:25

Oh Dilemma I could kiss you! Thank you!

SO wish I could use a Sharpie/biro! but apparently I'm not allowed!]

Thank you ALL!

Strawbezza Thu 13-Jan-11 00:19:38

Also, don't sew nametapes onto elasticated areas, e.g. trousers/skirt waistband, as the stitches will rip when the elastic is stretched. Sew them onto the washing care label, it's lovely and silky to sew onto!

ChippingIn Thu 13-Jan-11 00:21:22

Milk just order the iron on ones! Even if you have to pay for them yourself it's worth it!

DilemmawithcapitalD Thu 13-Jan-11 00:21:51

Good luck Milk no Sugar grin

Good point Strawbezza! Forgot to mention that!

MilkNoSugarPlease Thu 13-Jan-11 00:23:15

Oh Chip, I so would except they HAVE to be stitched on ones because they're "smarter" and make my life difficult !!

Mspontipine Thu 13-Jan-11 00:32:46

Knots can work undone - start with a few stitches over each other to start

ChippingIn Thu 13-Jan-11 01:04:05

If she feels that strongly - suggest she does it herself, she is the mother after all and you are the nanny, not the bloody seamstress!!

Starbear Thu 13-Jan-11 12:19:47

Milk I sew them on because once done, they don't rub off and everyone can see the clothes belong to my kid. I don't do it very neatly. DS still has a habit of coming home with other kids sweatshirts and their parents have done them in ink and to be honest I can only just read the name often I can't and they end up in the lost property box. He also belongs to a number of sports clubs so I do them as well as all the kids kit looks the same. Lose kit and uniform is not cost effective. This is not a bad skill to learn. I'm in a uniformed occupation and I use the labels on my own jackets so no one can say it isn't mine!

OnlyWantsOne Thu 13-Jan-11 12:55:02

I bought these

they're fantastic if you ask me

not sewing in though so wont help the OP sorry

Starbear Thu 13-Jan-11 13:24:55

OnlyWants I'm worse at ironing than I am at sewing. so for ME these don't work blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now