Talk

Advanced search

Getting hair dye off lino - any suggestions?

(15 Posts)
glovesoflove Wed 12-Jan-11 09:35:46

Hello

I have managed to get a smear of semi permanent hair dye on my white and silver bathroom lino. It's just by the toilet and is brown hair dye so looks rather grim

I've tried cif, I've tried bleach, and doesn't seem to be lifting. What else could I try?

TIA from someone who doesn't want people thinking that she or her OH would a) poo on the floor and b) not clean it up properly!

piratecat Wed 12-Jan-11 09:41:06

can't help, but sympathise as i have a poo type mark on my bathroom lino too sad!

glovesoflove Wed 12-Jan-11 10:01:04

lol

Unbelievably DP hasn't noticed yet, I did it last week. My mum suggested a pedestal mat (bleurgh) but it's round the side and a mat wouldn't cover it anyway. It's not even like I can stand anything on it, ah well, I suppose I could always blame the baby and the cat

Ooopsadaisy Wed 12-Jan-11 10:05:41

Someone once suggested gin when I got hair-dye on carpet.

In hindsight, I don't know whether they meant to dab it or drink it.

I dabbed it every day for about a month and it did eventually fade but I suppose it might have done that anyway.

glovesoflove Wed 12-Jan-11 10:12:36

I'll buy a bottle of gin, ply any visitors with it and then if they do see the mark they won't care

Ooopsadaisy Wed 12-Jan-11 10:26:22

Try contacting the maunfacturuer of the hair-dye - they should have a customer care centre - they might have an answer.

Otherwise - keep going with the gin.

HouseOfBamboo Wed 12-Jan-11 11:25:52

It's a bugger isn't it sad I find that even drips from when I've washed recently dyed hair can leave a mark on the white bits of the lino if not mopped up instantly.

I haven't found anything that will shift it so will give gin a go. You'd think that bleach would work but no.

How about tippex? Can't be any worse than the brown stains can it...

HouseOfBamboo Wed 12-Jan-11 11:29:42

Some of these might be worth a go - think I'll try Head and Shoulders and vinegar first.

removing hair dye stains

HouseOfBamboo Wed 12-Jan-11 11:34:59

Found another one which recommends baking powder paste to remove hairdye stains from counter tops, so that might be worth a go too.

HouseOfBamboo Wed 12-Jan-11 11:43:43

More solutions

glovesoflove Wed 12-Jan-11 12:48:29

Ooh thank you! I'm going to try the baking soda I think. I'm sure it'll fade with repeated cleaning, previous marks have, but I usually dye my hair red which doesn't look quite so bad if you get a spot on the floor grin

HouseOfBamboo Wed 12-Jan-11 14:09:44

Well, have had no immediate luck with Head and Shoulders, baking soda, or nail varnish remover sad

Maybe repeated treatment would help - but some of the spots look like they have really penetrated the surface. I wonder if sanding off the surface would work as a last resort? It would need to be re-sealed somehow I suppose.

HouseOfBamboo Wed 12-Jan-11 14:10:32

(My floor surface is vinyl btw rather than lino)

glovesoflove Wed 12-Jan-11 17:30:16

I think mine's vinyl too but the word lino is too ingrained in me!

luckyinthesky Tue 17-May-16 00:21:18

I read that fresh hair dye is the best way to remove old hair dye stains so after trying all those other methods suggested here except the nail vanish remove I'm going to try that.

Its been suggested by a hair dresser that you rub it in to loosen the old stain then clean using dandruff shampoo, will up date on if it worked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now