Talk

Advanced search

Not really good housekeeping but I wondered whether you could come and shoot holes in this business idea please?

(12 Posts)
goldenticket Thu 06-Jan-11 17:02:23

I've just read the JL thread and was thinking about how much of a pain it is to have to take days off work to wait in for things to be delivered and also how the depots you have to go and collect parcels from are always miles away or, in the case of Royal Mail, open during standard working hours only angry.

Do you reckon there would be mileage in a service within your local area that would receive parcels/deliveries for you and then text you to let you know they've arrived? You could then go and collect it or have it delivered at a mutually agreed time. You could sign up for a monthly fee and then always have parcels sent to them or could pay a one off fee for one off deliveries?

Come and tell me all the things I haven't thought of grin
particular

goldenticket Thu 06-Jan-11 17:03:09

Oops, stray particular there, sorry.

goldenticket Thu 06-Jan-11 17:14:47

Anyone?

exexpat Thu 06-Jan-11 17:20:58

Hmm. Interesting idea. I can see how it would be useful, but I'd have a few concerns. For a start, as a new (and unusual) business, how would you convince people you were trustworthy? You'd probably have to spend a lot on advertising to build up a client base. Also, it wouldn't work for very large items, like furniture, kitchen appliances etc, and smaller things people can often get delivered to themselves at work anyway.

TeaOneSugar Thu 06-Jan-11 21:47:36

I usually get things delivered to work, or to my MIL's if we're likely to be on holiday.

I wonder if you could potentially get involved in disputes if things don't turn up, or if there were delays. Pre Christmas I'd imagine you would have been inundated with queries about parcels.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 06-Jan-11 21:49:40

Yes there is one it's called your local post office - they will hold parcels for a 50p fee if you have them sent by RM and other couriers by arrangement.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 06-Jan-11 21:50:32

You can also buy a secure drop box to have parcels delivered into - they look like wheelie bins and the parcel is placed in it, shut and then locks.

notapizzaeater Thu 06-Jan-11 21:52:09

There waqs a pub in Leeds doing this free before Xmas, you just had to pop in on the way home to collect them - apprently his turnover went up a good couple of grand as people stapped and had a drink smile

whomovedmychocolate Thu 06-Jan-11 21:52:11

Also, there are legal issues - not many companies would want to take the position of bailee for unlimited parcels, nor would they be able to do so without express permission of the sender as it is not until the ownership passes that you become liable and the sender may not be happy for the receiver to act as bailee because of the risk of credit card chargebacks etc. as they had not verified their status etc.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 06-Jan-11 21:52:50

Enough holes yet - I can think up a few more if it helps. wink

goldenticket Thu 06-Jan-11 22:37:02

OK, that's enough holes grin

Sounds a great idea by the pub though - win win all round!

BelieveInLife Tue 11-Jan-11 08:58:48

Isn't this exactly what Collect Plus is? They deliver to a local store of your choice and you can collect it (and return it) whenever suits you. It's places like garages, village shops etc. and I notice more and more places are offering it now...New Look, Littlewoods etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: