Talk

Advanced search

Breadmaker bread - storage

(11 Posts)
crazymum53 Wed 05-Jan-11 13:10:16

I have bought myself a new breadmaker for Christmas and am very pleased with the delicious bread. But was wondering how you store the bread you have made. At the moment I wrap it in foil and store in a ceramic bread bin but the bread texture seems to change rapidly. Is there a better way - all suggestions welcome ?

CarmelitaMiggs Wed 05-Jan-11 13:20:11

what sort of bread are you making?

My dense/seedheavy/50 per cent wholemeal bread freezes well. I slice it and shove it in a ziploc bag in the freezer.

If I leave it out, it's only really good for toast after 24 hrs

SoupDragon Wed 05-Jan-11 13:23:12

I store mine in a cupboard. It rarely lasts long enough to go stale. I think wrapping it in foil is going to make it go really soft, even putting mine in the bread bin used to make the crust change very quickly.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 05-Jan-11 13:23:41

I don't think there is any way to keep that wonderful crust. I find mine keeps reasonably well (apart from the crust) for a day or two if I put it in a paper bag in the bread bin.

CointreauVersial Wed 05-Jan-11 13:27:21

If you put it in a sealed pack (i.e. plastic or tightly-wrapped foil) it will just go soft as the moisture comes out of the bread.

You are making yummy bread with none of the preservatives and chemicals that manufacturers use, but the pay-off is limited shelf-life. Just eat it quickly!!

crazymum53 Wed 05-Jan-11 13:29:50

It is brown bread (50% white flour/50% wholemeal). It goes very crumbly stored in foil and crust a bit soggy. Am wondering whether to try plastic bag or paper. Have also seen cotton bread bags in the shops but am unsure if they are worth the expense.

mousymouse Wed 05-Jan-11 13:30:19

I wrap the bread tightly into a tea towel directly after baking and when cooled down put it in a wooden breadbox.
bread stays nice for 2 days this way.
I bake mostly with a plain flour/wholemeal bread flower mix or brown bread flour, so quite dense bread.

DisparityCausesInstability Wed 05-Jan-11 22:39:17

We place ours cut side down on a chopping board - place a tea towel loosely over it sometimes. Don't get the Bread Bags from Lakeland they are rubbish - the insides go mouldy when the bread breathes.

I expect pure linen would be a great thing to wrap bread in...allow the bread to breathe without it getting sweaty.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 05-Jan-11 22:42:08

I have a bread box from Lakeland which works quite well. It is one of those with four clips on the top but it has a nylon grid at the bottom to stop the bread sitting on the bottom - it seems to be keeping for about five days. Well actually indefinitely for me as I don't eat it but DH does.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Jan-11 22:45:43

Wrap it in a linen tea towel and then in a bread bin - mine is ceramic with a wooden lid. I made a loaf on Sunday and finished the last as a sandwich today and it was still lovely and fresh.

Just need to decide what to make next

RachelHRD Sun 09-Jan-11 00:18:56

I use a lock-n-lock bread sized box and it's great for keeping the bread really fresh. Usually put a piece of kitchen roll in the bottom to absorb any moisture.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: