Talk

Advanced search

How to clean dirty wood furniture?

(7 Posts)
girlafraid Tue 04-Jan-11 13:14:28

My nice wood bedroom furniture could do with a proper clean - not just a dust and polish

The fronts have make up down them and have never been properly cleaned - I am heavily pregnant and therefore obsessing about this
Can I just use dilute detergent and a cloth?
I have both matt and varnished wood furniture.
TIA

notrightnow Tue 04-Jan-11 15:37:51

Ecover wood soap is very good and gentle on nice furniture and floors. Then rub with beeswax. All that kneeling down and leaning forward while scrubbing will bring the baby along nicely!

notrightnow Tue 04-Jan-11 15:43:14

Sorry - I didn't answer the question properly. You can use some warm soapy water - nothing stronger than dishwashing liquid. You need to make sure that you wipe it all off thought and use a polish afterwards as it's very drying on nice wood.

girlafraid Tue 04-Jan-11 16:15:49

Thanks - wood soap sounds like it might be gentler -I'll try that!

rudolpherina Wed 05-Jan-11 21:26:27

Sugar soap and a scrubing brush

soppypreggyloon Thu 06-Jan-11 09:16:59

Baby wipes.
They cleaned the dirty finger marks off my un-treated pine doors.
The mind boggles at why they are ok for bums but also clean things I'd normally use proper cleaning stuff for!

LizHF Thu 06-Jan-11 13:46:31

Furniture also has a lot of grease build up and fingerprints on it so it is worth cleaning your furniture with some sort of degreaser. One you would use to clean your kitchen would be ok, just spray on and wipe off. If your furniture is varnished, make sure you avoid products containing Trisodium phosphate as that will remove the shine from your furniture, however it is very effective in removing dirt and residue.

Hope that is helpful!

Liz

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: