Talk

Advanced search

Please may I have your bed linen recommendations?

(57 Posts)
mckenzie Mon 03-Jan-11 21:31:42

We have just found out that you can buy larger pillows for king size beds and so if we buy the new pillows, we'll need new bed linen smile.

I've not really paid that much attention to it before but after sleeping in some gorgeous sheets while on holiday this autumn it's made me what to invest a little more time and money and get some good stuff. Also, we invested fairly heavily in a fabulous new mattress a year or so ago and it seems a shame to not make the whole sleep experience as pleasant as possible

So, any recommendations gratefully received.

TIA

Carrotsandcelery Mon 03-Jan-11 21:34:03

Sorry I don't know but I will watch this thread with interest as I would love to have bigger pillows and pillow cases on our lovely new king size mattress too.

JackieNo Mon 03-Jan-11 21:35:27

I've seen Duvet and Pillow Warehouse and King of Cotton recommended for quality and prices - not sure if they have the sizes you need though.

Mypombearisveryold Mon 03-Jan-11 21:38:58

The White Company. You might be able to get some in the sale.

mckenzie Mon 03-Jan-11 21:56:26

thank you. I looked in The white Company today but there sale is only taking 15-20% off and I wasn;t sure if I am paying somewhat for the name, rather than just for a quality product.
King of Cotton don't do superking size JackieNo as far as I can tell but the other website does and it has some helpful information on it about choosing your pillows etc. I might even have to go the whole hog and get a new duvet too! thanks for the links.

Mypombearisveryold Tue 04-Jan-11 02:17:54

The White Company product is pretty good.

You are taliking about a high end product, pay for it, enjoy it for years and years.

piprabbit Tue 04-Jan-11 02:42:06

My White Company stuff is lovely - but I also have some Northern Nights stuff (from QVC) which feels beautifully smooth and heavy.

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 04-Jan-11 14:40:48

We have some amazingly soft, lovely John Lewis ones from this range. We also have some other blue and white striped John Lewis ones which are not nearly as soft, so I recommend having a feel of the samples in store before buying, if you can.

lilystar Tue 04-Jan-11 15:26:06

I used Duvet and Pillow Warehouse, linked above, for king size pillow cases, and also sheets for a superking size bed, they were really good, and the pillow cases are fantastic.

I got the actual pillows from Dunelm, and went for the down filled ones, they also had some king size pillow cases, but they didn't have the high thread count ones, so I didn't bother.

MackerelOfFact Tue 04-Jan-11 15:59:54

TK Maxx do some nice high-thread-count/Egyptian cotton bedlinen at good prices if you're not adverse to a rummage. Lots for king size beds too.

starrystarrynights Tue 04-Jan-11 22:39:38

Frasers have 75% off their 500 threadcount Linea bedlinen at the mo. I stocked up on 2 sets this week - their double duvet cover with 2 pillow cases is reduced from £135 to £50.

My sister bought these last Xmas and said they are fab grin

starrystarrynights Tue 04-Jan-11 22:40:41

sorry - reduced from £135 to £40 actually!

glastocat Tue 04-Jan-11 22:41:31

I second Tk Maxx, I got some lovely 400 thread Egyptian cotten stuff for buttons.

mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-11 22:50:16

thanks very much guys. We need two sets anyway so we're going for one from the White Company and one from Duvet and Pillow Warehouse (Frasers didn;t do the larger size on the pillow cases SSN)

Thanks again everyone. Now just need to complete the orders and await delivery.

Funny how now we've decided we want new more expensive sheets etc, our good old M&S stuff just feels pants smile

Lilymaid Tue 04-Jan-11 22:51:07

If you do go for a new duvet, I'd recommend goose down which is light and warm. We have a combination Hungarian Goose Down duvet from John Lewis and it is wonderfully warm and light and not clammy or heavy like synthetic duvets.

mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-11 22:57:52

thanks very much lilymaid.
DH has just reminded me that we got a new duvet when we got the new bed/mattress blush. He seems to think we didn't scrimp on it so perhaps it is Goose Down anyway (It was definitely from JL as that's where the mattress was from. The mattress was hideously expensive but boy, is it worth it.) I'll check the label on the duvet when I go up.

ppeatfruit Wed 05-Jan-11 10:35:46

I love organic cotton esp. the brushed cotton it costs the same as the good quality stuff but is SOOO soft. They do mattresses as well see The Green catalogue.

Carrotsandcelery Wed 05-Jan-11 18:17:30

I have just had a White Company sale catalogue through the door - 50% off - Promotion code 11R1K

mckenzie Wed 05-Jan-11 19:50:58

I've just tried another order using that code but it hasn't given me any discount. Would anyone know why by any chance please?

Carrotsandcelery Wed 05-Jan-11 21:42:05

Just checking the code - 11R1K hmm

mottobhai Fri 14-Jan-11 17:32:11

if you want to buy duvet then i will recommend you to visit at www.designersbedding.co.uk for best quality of bed set.

wickedfairy Fri 14-Jan-11 19:19:48

I have some lovely stuff from Dunelm - it's called the Hotel range and it is 300 thread count Egyptian cotton. Really lovely and just like in the nice hotel beds.

We have a superking size bed and they do kingsize pillowcases that go with all the duvet covers. Also got my down-filled kingsize cushions at Dunelm. I think it is a really good shop. They aren't with all the colourful bedding sets in the shops I've been to, but more up the back of the shop next to the actual duvets and pillows.

Mind you, it's usually just pure white or cream coloured stuff (I love pure white bedding).

malovitt Fri 14-Jan-11 19:24:03

Sheridan bedlinen is really good quality, I get a set every year in the Debenhams January sale.

moocowme Sat 15-Jan-11 10:30:16

i have had Sheridan all my married life and they are very good. its all i have in sheets and towels these days as it lasts so long.

acumenin Sun 16-Jan-11 12:22:42

Bedlinen! I'm obsessed with it because my DP has been living in the bed for about eighteen months so I try to make it as fabulous as possible for him.

The nicest bedlinen I own is Porthault percale but I got it on eBay. I daren't imagine how much it would cost in the shops. Highstreetish, I think the best quality is White Company, bearing in mind my requirements for bedlinen are cotton percale that is thick, crisp, cold, and smooth with a very faint suedelike feeling on the surface. I buy WC 200 thread count everyday percale when it is on sale and it's grand quality, washes well, and has a good snap when you shake it out.

I don't tend to go for higher thread count on the high street as most of them are a bodge - shorter threads twisted together to multiply the thread count. It's long threads that give the smooth surface, and Egyptian cotton naturally has the longest threads.

It depends on what you like. I can't abide sateen or silky surfaces, so I don't look for those. Duvet and Pillow Warehouse do percale and it's ok - it's well finished, but the fabric is not as crisp as WC. They do make excellent duvets and I highly recommend those. DAPW do a deal where if you order more within seven days, delivery is free, so it's worth buying a pillowcase etc to test if you like it.

Sheridan and Christy are good quality, I think, but I've not found sets that have the weight I like. I really do advise White Company for linen and DAPW for duvets. Pillows - if you need easily washable ones, go to IKEA because they have a massive range of styles. Otherwise, DAPW!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now