Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a washer/dryer that is actually good at both washing and drying?

(15 Posts)
mogs0 Mon 03-Jan-11 10:18:08

I have only heard negative things about washer/dryers. My washing machine needs replacing and, in order to save space in my already cramped kitchen, I'm considering a combined machine so I can get rid of my existing dryer.

Can anyone recommend one that is good at doing both washing and drying?

AMumInScotland Mon 03-Jan-11 10:29:33

We've got a Zanussi which is pretty good at both, and I'd certainly rather have it than not have a drier at all. I've stuck with a washer/drier so I can fit a dishwasher, which seems a much better use of the space than a separate drier. Zanussi Jet System 1600 is ours, though its a few years old now so I don't know if they still do that version.

mogs0 Mon 03-Jan-11 10:57:47

Thanks, I'll have a look to see what's available.

MrsAnnaBanana Mon 03-Jan-11 18:33:12

I've just bought an AEG Electrolux one. Pretty pleased with it so far - I think they've improved in recent years. Miele got the best reviews, but at £1200 I couldn't justify the expense!

coastgirl Mon 03-Jan-11 18:37:16

I have a Miele one - yes, it was expensive but it does actually work! We got an ex-display model though so saved a fair bit there.

I don't use it for everyday drying though. Only towels and the odd load when there's too much to hang out/put on a rack. I couldn't use it for everything.

CointreauVersial Mon 03-Jan-11 18:38:58

We have a Zanussi too (a "Progress 1400"). It washes as well as any other washing machine. On the drying front it's not too bad either; it possibly takes a little longer than a dedicated dryer, mainly because the drum is smaller, but it gets the job done.

We only dry towels and sheets in it; if you dry quite a lot you will probably end up with a backlog of drying as it can't (of course) do both at the same time! But it's perfect for us, as I don't tumble enough to justify a separate one.

Ba8y1 Mon 03-Jan-11 18:40:38

Lower end i.e. Indesit are rubbish. Top end Miele/Siemens are excellent but v pricey. My Bosch is mid range, but am very happy with it - washing quality great and I don't end up with a pile of damp clothes at the end of the dry cycle like I did with my previous Indesit!

HTH

coastgirl Mon 03-Jan-11 18:51:08

Oh yes, we had an Indesit w/d. It lasted three years and we were glad to see the back of it - it was nothing but trouble. The Miele is a world apart.

mogs0 Mon 03-Jan-11 18:58:14

Yikes, £1200? shock

I don't use my dryer very often but it's very handy for when I've forgotten to dry school uniform over the weekend and only have an hour before school to dry it out!

I'm going to try and fix the washing machine first and make do with my tumble dryer taking up space in the kitchen but will certainly keep in mind that there are some decent combined machines for when my two pack up for good.

Thanks for all the responses.

notapizzaeater Mon 03-Jan-11 19:11:18

I have a Miele one - its worked bloody hard 2-3 loads every day and its fine. It uses much less water than the others so I decided once I added the free 6 year warrenty and the much less water usage it would actually work our cheaper .....

Bonsoir Mon 03-Jan-11 19:13:00

Yes, I used to have a great Siemens one.

BornToFolk Mon 03-Jan-11 19:17:28

We've got a great John Lewis one. Used to have a Zanussi one but had endless problems with it so gave up in the end and went for John Lewis due to increased guarantee period but it's been really good. We don't tumble dry everything - prefer to use the line when the weather cooperates - but we do a fair amount and it copes well.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Wed 05-Jan-11 12:10:42

We've got an AEG L14850 - I think it was about £600. It was recommended by Which and as we live in a flat without a garden it has made such a difference since we got it just under a year ago. I posted for advice on MN and got largely negative comments but it's been great since we got it. It's so lovely to take clothes out and just put them away and not have to get an airer out, put the clothes on that, then take them off etc etc. I love it.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Wed 05-Jan-11 12:11:35

Just to clarify - I got largely negative comments about washer/dryers from my earlier thread.

Ooopsadaisy Wed 05-Jan-11 12:14:16

I have a Hotpoint washer/dryer. Washing is great, drying is rubbish - I don't even bother - it all goes on the washing line or airer or on the rads.

I won't bother next time - just the washer will do for me.

I think it might be a case of spending a fair bit in the first place to get the quality.

Separate dryers seem to work well if you have the space (garage?).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now