Talk

Advanced search

Anyone recommend a basic, good, sewing machine?

(4 Posts)
otchayaniye Wed 29-Dec-10 10:51:43

I need to upgrade from my 1900s Singer (the type displayed in All Saints windows)

Not looking to spend hundreds as I won't use it every day but I need something that will do buttonholes and that can handle tougher fabrics.

Thanks.

bacon Thu 30-Dec-10 20:51:12

Best all round is a Jamone. I did loads of research before replacing mine and its absolutely amazing. You dont even have to use a foot! I would go to a good dealer and talk about your requirements. I would think £150. Mine cost £250 and it is adequate for basic sewing with a good selection of fancy stitches. This has automatic tension and you can sew with any fabric. The buttonholer is brill but dont really use it.

There is a fantastic dealer near me who also run sewing courses, sell all the accessories and have great knowledge. Even though because of the boys and dog running amoke dont really get to use it that oftern.

JetLi Thu 30-Dec-10 22:06:23

I think I saw Jamone ones in the John Lewis sale. Here

howdidthishappenthen Fri 31-Dec-10 14:06:45

The new John Lewis basic one (£50) is just fine for simple household sewing - i.e hemming, curtains etc. Comes in some very funky colours. Downside is no light by the needed (annoying when threading) and a short electric cable. Only had mine 6 months so can't comment on durability.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: