Talk

Advanced search

Melted plastic in saucepan

(4 Posts)
brillopads Sat 25-Dec-10 20:14:43

Slight Xmas disaster- boiling the Xmas pud we didn't put a saucer or anything in the bottom of the saucepan so naturally the plastic basin it came in ended up melting, doh

Is there any remedy to get the melted on plastic off the inside of the pan? Brillo pad & good ol' elbow grease ? Trying to heat it up again & scrape off ?

schroeder Sun 26-Dec-10 17:14:12

Sorry, but hardy-ha I knew this would be a christmas pudding thing, I remember fondly my mum doing this years ago.

Seriously though what kind of pan is it? If it is non stick I think it's had it, if stainless steel or cast iron it might scrape off it warmed ; but I doubt it.

StainlessSteelCat Sun 26-Dec-10 20:32:30

After doing this twice last year a similar experience, I gave up trying to clean it and stuck it in the garage for a few months while. Eventually, we googled to find out what might dissolve the plastic, and I ended up soaking it in nail varnish remover. After doing that a couple of times I managed to wash it clean. It survived to risk the same fate this year, and has emerged unscathed and shiny

brillopads Tue 28-Dec-10 10:04:48

SScat
haha yes the pan has been sat on the side balefully, occasionally one of us will have a go at "Cif-fing" it with a scourer. Will certainly give the nail polish remover a go- seems so wasteful to throw it away

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: