Talk

Advanced search

what can I buy to keep the wood etc in for the new fire please/

(14 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 23-Dec-10 20:51:17

We are finally ready to use our fire! Yippee. The room is no longer a childrens playroom, the chimney has been swept and certified, the wood, coals and firelighters bought. But now we've realised we need a bucket/tub of some sort to keep the wood etc in.
Any ideas/tips please as to what works well, websites/shops to look at please?

TIA

ethelina Thu 23-Dec-10 20:57:06

We've got a rattan chest lined with hessian from Merchant Chandler which holds an evenings worth of wood for us, and a small open basket for kindling

mckenzie Thu 23-Dec-10 21:14:23

do you use coal ethelina too? Weve been adviced to fist light a few pieces of coal then add the wood. Is that what you do?

ethelina Thu 23-Dec-10 21:20:31

No don't use coal at all, just wood. Ours is an enclosed woodburning stove with a back boiler which runs the central heating and hot water. I put down a layer I'd screwed up newspaper and some kindling on top and just light it. When it gets going I add the wood. When it's really hot we put a large slow burning piece of hardwood or two and it keeps going for hours with minimal interference. It took us 3 winters to get the hang of it though. I expect someone with experience of coal will be along in a minute smile

mckenzie Thu 23-Dec-10 21:25:29

thanks Ethelina. i hope for some helpful advice. Ours is a regular fireplace in the lounge. DH is being a rather typical man I'm afraid and is acting as though he's been lighting fires all his life when really, he is a real fire virgin like me smile.

ethelina Thu 23-Dec-10 21:36:30

Hehe they're all like that! It's like changing nappies really - once you've done a few you wonder what all the fuss was about grin.

ethelina Fri 24-Dec-10 10:05:13

Bump for coal related advice from anyone in the know smile

asmallbunchofmistletoe Fri 24-Dec-10 10:09:46

We have a coal scuttle we bought in an antique auction (v v lovely if I say so myself) but it isn't big enough for holding logs. My cunning plan is to buy a large wicker basket but I haven't yet found one that I like.

ethelina Fri 24-Dec-10 10:13:43

That rattan chest in Merchant Chandler i linked to is actually very sturdy and the lining is sound so no messy leaks.

asmallbunchofmistletoe Fri 24-Dec-10 10:15:50

That's very nice but I was hoping for something more rustic and twiggy looking, if you get my drift.

norfolkBRONZEturkey Fri 24-Dec-10 10:17:41

We have a baskt for kindling but we just stack the logs. It looks very pretty

trumpton Fri 24-Dec-10 10:20:40

Small scuttle for one evenings worth of coal and Medium whicker basket for logs.
Bought an oak swill basket a few years ago for DD log burner HEREIt should last forever.

trumpton Fri 24-Dec-10 10:21:30

Meant to say he was on Victorian Farm TV programme and we liked them so ordered one.

acumenin Sat 25-Dec-10 19:39:21

Garden Trading do a few good fireside bits, though I'm not keen on all this writing on buckets lark that shop is obsessed with. Cox and Cox has a few things too. I'm quite partial to those recycled tyre baskets that turn up on notonthehighstreet now and again.

If you have coal, advise getting a hod with a cover - because it gets everywhere - and tongs instead of a mini-shovel (they're pretty ineffective). If you make sure the hod has two handles and a sort of feedy-lip, you can chuck a load of coal on quickly if you need to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: