Talk

Advanced search

DIY Carpet repairs - help please!!

(5 Posts)
Chunkamatic Thu 23-Dec-10 11:52:25

On Sunday DP wisely put a hot coal from the fire he was cleaning out into a plastic bag on the carpet. In the middle of the room.

Instead of going mental like I wanted to I got pro-active and googled what to do. Saw a suggestion to get the melted plastic off using hot iron and brown paper. I did this. The iron burnt the carpet.

So I now have a black melted plastic hole the size of a 50p which is surrounded by an iron shape glow of singed/melted fibres. I repeat, this is IN THE MIDDLE of my carpet in the living room.

Have tried snipping the fibres but scissors not sharp enough and and I just keep accidentally pulling the out of the backing, so it is also going bald to boot.

Feeling that the only way forward is to patch repair. Have called up a company who quoted £100. Is this extortionate, because it seems it to me?! Have looked online again and seen tips for doing it yourself. Has anyone actually done this? It can't look much worse than it does already - and the patching thing looks straight forward, but is it?

Advice welcome!!! PLEASE!!

Chunkamatic Thu 23-Dec-10 22:21:52

Bump - I know it's a boring question but anyone? please?

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Thu 23-Dec-10 22:24:00

I think a rug might be the safest option!

chivers1977 Thu 23-Dec-10 22:26:39

insurance?

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Thu 23-Dec-10 22:31:51

I'm not sure if ironing the carpet would negate the insurance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now