Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about hoovers

(17 Posts)
RamblingRosa Tue 07-Dec-10 08:47:09

I'm in the market for a new hoover but don't know what to get. I've seen a few that are half price on the Argos website that look like good brands (Vax, Hoover) but I don't know if I trust the Argos reviews.

Anyone tried this Morphy Richards bagless one?

Or this Vax Mach 3 one?

Please don't tell me to get a Dyson or Miele because I can't afford it!

jenroy29 Tue 07-Dec-10 18:19:29

I've got an upright Morphy Richards and I probably wouldn't recommend it. It sucks really well on carpet and hard floors but the attachments aren't as good as others so I adapted my old Goblins tools to fit. The washable filter is a nightmare to clean but it did come with a spare one so I can put that job off.
It cost £80 a few years ago from Currys so I don't think that the argos offer is as good as the Vax one.

Desiderata Tue 07-Dec-10 18:24:51

Argos is a crap store. Shop around before you commit.

If you know someone with a Costco card, you might be able to get a reasonably affordable Dyson. They really are the dogs bollocks. Or hold out for one on eBay or in the sales. Get the smallest/cheapest one you can.

That said, Daewoo do perfectly respectable vacuums for about £30.00.

It depends on how large your place is. Vax's are a bit complicated. Henry's are OK for building sites, but not good at sucking up hairs/pet hairs, etc. Miele are crap, imo. They are the M&S of vacuum cleaners .. style over substance.

Mortini Tue 07-Dec-10 19:00:45

I have the Vax Mach 3 - not sure I'd say it was complicated..... It's easy to empty and the hose bit detaches for storage. It's good, a bit heavy and my only grumble with it is that it isn't great at picking up hair. Had it for a year now and no problems. HTH

CeliaChristmasFate Wed 08-Dec-10 10:36:43

Miele was recommended here a few weeks ago. Also recommended by the vacuum repair man who fixed my Dyson - he said Dysons were rubbish and always breaking down.

RamblingRosa Wed 08-Dec-10 12:55:44

Thanks. It's a smallish 2 bed house but only the stairs and hallways are carpeted (plus some rugs in other rooms) so it's not a huge space to hoover.

Are Dysons really worth all that money then? Why are they so good? Just more powerful?

emmie31 Wed 08-Dec-10 13:03:43

I have spent a fortune on hoovers over the years (including a dyson, wouldn't buy one again) I have just bought a new one from asda, it was the cheapest one I've ever bought it's a Bissel and I have to say its the most powerful hoover I've bought. The only thing wrong with it is that the pipe that came with it was plastic so I swap it with our old hoovers metal one.

NinjaChipmunk Wed 08-Dec-10 13:19:08

watching with interest as my vacuum cleaner died last night.

mistletoeploppy Wed 08-Dec-10 13:45:50

Sorry for your loss, Ninja grin

NinjaChipmunk Wed 08-Dec-10 14:00:22

thank you for your kind words, i am i mourning. several marauding 3 year olds in the house for the afternoon and no way to clean up after them! Oh, the crumbs!

Desiderata Wed 08-Dec-10 18:56:35

You can't beat a good stiff dustpan and brush grin

Desiderata Wed 08-Dec-10 18:57:58

People have mixed feelings about Dysons, but being a professional cleaner, I have to say that they come up trumps for me every time.

They stuck up soooooooooo much more than other vacuums.

They're crap on stairs, however. For stairs, I always use a stiff brush.

maryz Wed 08-Dec-10 18:58:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Desiderata Wed 08-Dec-10 19:04:19

Mary, if you don't have carpet, then just get yourself a Henry.

They're cheap and extremely reliable.

2old4thislark Wed 08-Dec-10 19:16:20

I got a new Dyson yesterday as my old one has broken after 5 years. I got a dyson DC033 all floors from Amazon for £180 - a lot cheaper than Argos. It has an incredible amount of suck! It does come with a 5 year guarentee so if you can stretch to the initial cost it's good value IMO.

I have had other vacuums and I much prefer Dysons. My friends swears by her Miele Cat and Dog.

Desiderata Wed 08-Dec-10 19:22:31

One of my jobs is working for a dog 'hotel', and the proprietor had a Miele Cat and Dog.

I honestly thought it was pants. Unweildy, and lacking in suction. I talked him into a Dyson, and we didn't look back.

The Dyson is incredible with fine hairs and dust. It's not so good on big stuff. You have to pick that up, but that's the same with most vacuums.

plasticface Wed 08-Dec-10 19:32:02

Get one of these! Like being in the future!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SR8855-NaviBot-Rob otic-Cleaner/dp/B003NVLXT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid= 1291836653&sr=8-1

My Miele is brilliant by the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now