Talk

Advanced search

Would you want this?

(17 Posts)
Brewster Mon 06-Dec-10 15:14:52

Hi,

I am thinking of starting up a business helping people declutter their homes and get organised.

Is this something you would want and how much would you pay?

Thank you

ChippedChinaTeacup Mon 06-Dec-10 15:16:57

Yes please!!

No idea of what to pay tho

Brewster Mon 06-Dec-10 15:19:26

I was thinking it would depend on the size of the job eg. Just one room, a whole house...just the clothes, or all the kitchen etc etc
so.... £100 a room and then reduce/increase depending on what needs doing ?

sound fair?
too much?

androbbob Mon 06-Dec-10 15:27:38

Hmm sounds abit much to me - perhaps it would be better to do an hourly rate or a daily rate rather than a room rate? I won't pay for it myself as I do regulary de-clutter myself, but I can see a need for it for some people - perhaps if getting ready to sell their house or move out / away?

Not sure about costs though sorry!

ShittySnowyDays Mon 06-Dec-10 15:33:01

I wouldn't pay someone to declutter, sorry blush

worldgonemad72 Mon 06-Dec-10 15:34:56

I wouldn't pay someone to declutter either im afraid...how will you know what people want to keep or throw?

ShittySnowyDays Mon 06-Dec-10 15:36:46

Now if it were a volunteer service..........grin

Brewster Mon 06-Dec-10 15:37:33

They would be there to decide what they want to keep etc.

I know people who just cannot organise their own stuff. They hoard and it all gets chucked in the cupboards etc.

BluTac Mon 06-Dec-10 15:39:32

Some desperate people would pay though, I bet. Remember Life Laundry on bbc 2? People who were that desperate would deffo pay.

worldgonemad72 Mon 06-Dec-10 15:43:48

Still wouldn't bother though tbh, may aswel do it myself if someone kept asking what i wanted to keep..i couldn't just sit there while someone else went though all my things, but thats just me.

BluTac Mon 06-Dec-10 16:08:28

You would need to find people who were desperate enough not to care about you looking through all their stuff, and who were too overwhelmed to do it themselves.

brokeoven Mon 06-Dec-10 16:14:13

No, me neither, may as well do it myself as i know what stuff i want and what i would want to get rid of,

Also it would involve other rooms as you would need some where to put the stuff you remove...more hassle and messing around.

Personally no i wouldnt pay for that service.

BlackBag Tue 07-Dec-10 14:06:42

What about marketing it as a 'big event' service so pre house sale/ new baby thing.

And where are you it's unlikely that round here there'd be a market with lots of SAHMs and low disposable income but posh, cash rich/time poor area might work.

Buy a vintage van/car for advertising ...

Unprune Tue 07-Dec-10 14:11:11

Yes, I would, but I would want it done in like this:

Someone comes and helps you declutter
That person goes to the tip for you/puts it on eBay (proceeds split say 50/50?)
Then talks to you about building storage and reorganising your stuff
And organises the joiner/decorator to do it

I would pay for that. That's a really good service. Just for chucking things out though - no.

booyhohoho Tue 07-Dec-10 14:54:30

same as unprune.

Bunbaker Tue 07-Dec-10 18:48:31

"Is this something you would want and how much would you pay?"

Sorry, but no and nothing.

I really don't understand why people find it so difficult to declutter. I hate clutter, it makes me feel claustrophobic. I am pretty ruthless about getting rid of things that as William Morris quoted "are neither beautiful nor useful". I do keep sentimental things, but know where to draw the line. We move house on average every 6 - 7 years and like to "travel light".

Brewster Tue 07-Dec-10 21:55:24

I was thinking of suggesting differnet type sof storage and finding out what they they want and then going to buy it - but yeah if it needed to be made then I oculd supervise the builder.

eBay a good idea but it would all have to live at their house till it got sold - no room here!

I live in and near to very rich areas so yeah wa shoping to find time poor people or people who just cant be bothered to do their own stuff!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: