Talk

Advanced search

would you throw away the top that DH wore when insulating the loft?

(10 Posts)
littleredsquirrel Fri 03-Dec-10 16:30:50

It has fibres all over the back if it. I was going to put in in the wash on its own and then run the machine through a cycle with nothing in it to clear the machine. Will this do or do I risk getting fibres on everything for ever after?

alypaly Fri 03-Dec-10 16:42:25

yes i would throw it in case there is glass fibre in it. It bis really irritant and can nget under your skin

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Fri 03-Dec-10 16:43:37

Bin it. Glass fibres really nasty. No idea whether the machine would cope with them, either.

littleredsquirrel Fri 03-Dec-10 16:47:40

B**ger. It was a decent top too. God knows why he decided to wear it for insulating the loft! hmm

jaffacakeaddict Sun 05-Dec-10 16:00:50

Could you use the hoover to get rid of the worst of the fibres or hang the top outside to blow about in the wind? May be worth a try if it is a really nice top.

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 05-Dec-10 16:03:20

I'd throw it out, yes. Didn't he wear overalls? How daft.
It's not worth the pain, and I'm not even sure washing it would shift the glass fibres.

Hopefully he'll learn never to do that again in decent clothes!

ChippingIn Sun 05-Dec-10 16:03:35

Surely there shouldn't be anything in modern insulation that's a problem?

I would do what Jaffa said and hoover it & hand it outside for a good blow around then shove it through the wash (you could always take it to the laundrette and use the commercial machine - only a couple of quid).

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 05-Dec-10 16:17:15

fibreglass matting is still in common use, chippingin - it's one of the easiest and most effective to use.

ChippingIn Sun 05-Dec-10 18:04:39

Thumb - it's not really a problem as such though is it?

My Aunt had hers done last year and I am up and down in her loft all the time, it is a bit scratchy etc, but really it does wash out of clothes and I've never noticed a problem next time I've worn something.

The only time I got a lot of 'transfer' was when I brought a bag down and put it on my bed, on the pillow without wiping/dusting it... that was scratchy

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 05-Dec-10 21:19:44

I guess it depends on how much is on the top - if the OP's DH was carrying the rolls of fibreglass on his back, there could be a lot. The glass particles can get into the skin and could cause infection - it's not good!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: