Talk

Advanced search

Fire Pits

(5 Posts)
RatherBe Wed 01-Dec-10 22:33:00

I'm thinking about buying a fire pit - for the back garden rather than the kind that you take camping. I know I don't want a gas one and am not keen on the chimanea style but apart from that I am not sure what I should bear in mind when making a decision. Does anyone have any advice about how to choose one?

mylifewithstrangers Wed 01-Dec-10 22:34:49

We have a nice one that has a lid so can use it as a patio table too. Is round with a nice mosaic. Has a BBQ grill too - we have done the odd hotdog supper on it.

RatherBe Wed 01-Dec-10 23:07:04

Does the lid fill in the bit where the fire would otherwise go, so it's either a fire or a table? I have been looking at the kind which have a table rim around the fire but was wondering if they would get too hot or encourage the children (5 and 8) too close.

mylifewithstrangers Thu 02-Dec-10 14:23:11

Ours is pretty much like this. Yes it is either a fire pit or a table. The outer edge doesn't seem to get too hot, and we chose the circular one so as there was the deepest 'rim' all around to help keep the kids off (younger than yours). Obviously they are not left unsupervised when there is a fire. It is very useful in the summer for doing crafty activities on - ideal toddler height (we did look for a higher one, but couldn't find one). When the blaze gets going it throws off a good heat, is nicest when burnt down more to embers and with the mesh on top - lovely for summer evenings.

RatherBe Thu 02-Dec-10 14:49:25

Good point about the rim - I think I'll have a look for something in that style. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now