Talk

Advanced search

Do you wipe the condensation off your windows everymorning

(35 Posts)
lickeyloo Wed 01-Dec-10 18:11:51

cos I think I should. DH says use a shower screen wiper and mop up with towel. Anyone else do this everyday. we have mold growing all round the window edges.

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Wed 01-Dec-10 18:12:36

I definitely don't. Never crossed my mind but if you have mold already, might be wise to do it at least now and again.

domesticsluttery Wed 01-Dec-10 18:12:37

Yes I do. I use kitchen roll.

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Wed 01-Dec-10 18:13:21

really? All the windows, every morning?

thisisyesterday Wed 01-Dec-10 18:15:18

erm... no, i don't have condesation on my windows

domesticsluttery Wed 01-Dec-10 18:15:26

At this time of the year yes. The upstairs windows are the worst (as we breathe at night in the bedrooms which causes condensation) so I can often get away with only doing them, but they are done pretty much every morning. We get mould on the frames if we don't, and DS2 and I are both asthmatic and react badly to mould spores.

domesticsluttery Wed 01-Dec-10 18:16:30

Seriously, no condensation at all? I have never lived in a house that didn't get it!

LowLevelWhingeing Wed 01-Dec-10 18:16:41

I think I saw Sarah Beeny saying that if you're getting condensation you need to open the windows regularly to air it.

domesticsluttery Wed 01-Dec-10 18:17:54

I open the windows onto trickle vent (so that they are slightly open but still locked) every morning and leave them like that for a few hours, but still get condensation at night.

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Wed 01-Dec-10 18:19:30

I have never had condensation on my windows

If I did I probably would, I think, I'm not sure

Miggsie Wed 01-Dec-10 18:22:56

Yes, every morning!

I open the bathroom window to air it so it is not too bad but the bedrooms always fog up, I use one of those sponge things that uses lots of water and when I'm drying clothes I switch on the dehumidifier.

thisisyesterday Wed 01-Dec-10 18:30:04

i don't think i do, no.

i will check in the morning grin

it's safe to say that if i do in fact get some, that it isn't cleaned off! lol

FreakoidOrganisoid Wed 01-Dec-10 18:33:17

Old house was really bad, they were streaming every morning (despite having the windows open a lot in the day to air the house)

Hardly get any in this house, but if I do I wipe it off yes.

LowLevelWhingeing Wed 01-Dec-10 18:35:38

Y'all probably have decent windows then if you get no condensation. Our rubbishy single glazed ancient windows are quite drippy in damp weather.

domesticsluttery Wed 01-Dec-10 19:44:20

Our house is only 4 years old and the windows are double glazed.

Tortington Wed 01-Dec-10 19:44:50

do i balls

iMum Wed 01-Dec-10 19:47:19

We bought a dehumidifier thing-run it all night and some of the day and now the windows are are dry. It used to be a huge nightmare tho and the walls were very damp/mouldy clothes felt damp in wardrobes etc-not any more tho!

Tis expensive to run tho

wekingbeat23oforientare Wed 01-Dec-10 20:17:06

The last place is lived in had mould and condensation.

when the guy form the council came round, he told me that you need to leave the windows open just a little bit (a trickle vent someone above posted) and wipe them down too.

He explained it as this. The inside of a house warms up and the heat has risen and is trying to escape somehow, it looks for the easiest way of escaping and that will be through you windows. Now, before the days of double glazing this wasn't so much of a problem, but now, with the double glazing it is very hard for the heat to escape, so if you have a major problem with the condensation, you could install air bricks, this should eliviate the problem somewhat. Don't let the house/flat/whatever get too extreme in temperature and if you are finding mould starting on the walls, then clean it down. Paint with an anti-mould paint and don't have furniture next to outside walls....

MadAboutQuavers Wed 01-Dec-10 20:31:09

Puddles on window sills every morning, so yes, we wipe them at least twice a day with chamois leather

It's a right PITA

DownyEmerald Wed 01-Dec-10 20:35:38

Yes, but then what to do with the sopping kitchen towel - cos it's just going to dry out and the moisture goes back in the air right?

We have double glazing, but think it is to do with our cellar.

Got a dehumidifier down there, but need one upstairs for when I wash clothes I think.

I look at my neighbour's (semi-detached) in the morning and they don't have any . Their cellar is tanked though and maybe newer windows?

wasabipeanut Wed 01-Dec-10 20:41:28

We only started getting condensation this year on the upstairs sash windows - all other windows are fine. Yes I do wipe them and I also open them up a little for as long as I can stand in these temps.

We had them renovated and draft proofed in the Spring. I think the fact that they were rattling around and virtually falling out of the frames last Winter did, in a perverse sort of way, keep them free of condensation. The downside was that we all froze our arses off.

merminski Thu 02-Dec-10 11:30:09

My windows are like that now, they are those aluminium sash frame jobs and there are gaps between them that I was going to put new foam strips etc in, but condensation is bad even with them in, god knows what it'd be like without. I use the dehumidifier and wipe them every morning --when I can be arsed--

merminski Thu 02-Dec-10 11:30:58

Heh that strikeout worked well not, how dyou do it for sentences..

moonmother Thu 02-Dec-10 11:37:26

We get it on the bedroom windows too.

We have an old victorian terrace, but it's double glazed.

I keep a microfibre cloth in each bedroom and wipe them down each morning when I open the curtains.

I usually open the windows whilst I'm making the beds , but whilst it has been as cold as it has I haven't bothered.

One thing I have noticed, whilst it's been as cold as it has, we've left the heating on just ticking over at night (old downstairs bathroom- with worry pipes might freeze) and the curtains in the bedroom shut during the day to keep the house warmer. These past few days there hasn't been as much condensation, whether thats because there hasn't been that much of a difference in the warmth of the house generally or not I have no idea.

roastedfox Thu 02-Dec-10 13:03:32

yes i wipe mine every morning & sometimes before bed! drives me crazy but if i don't then i get mould in no time.i open all the windows for a good few hours first thing but it doesn't seem to help that much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now