Talk

Advanced search

dyeing things and shrinking things - on purpose!

(3 Posts)
AlphaSchmalpha Wed 01-Dec-10 08:36:41

Can you help with a couple of questions please?

1. Are Dylon machine dyes any good for dyeing big bath towels? Have some beigey towels and I'd like to turn them blue or somethings else. Not sure if it will work though!

2. If you wanted to deliberately shrink a wool garment, but not too much, is this possible? I have a big wool sleeveless jumper which looks ridiculous as I am v short (don't know what I was thinking when I bought it). it would look ok a more normal size though. Shall I just bung it in at 30? 40? and see what happens?

snowboots Wed 01-Dec-10 08:46:24

1. I found that they give a good, even dye.

2. If the garment is 100% wool then it will felt in a hot wash (unless it is superwash wool and it won't felt)
You could hand felt it which would give you more control of the amount you want it felted.

Sprinkle the jumper with hot soapy water and lay bubblewrap over it then rub in one direction for ages until it gets stiffer and begins to shrink.

If you machine felt then it will shrink a lot but you can pull it very firmly into the shape you would like. Or shrink it then cut it up and sew it into something else.

AlphaSchmalpha Wed 01-Dec-10 12:32:34

thanks snowboots! jumper is massive so will give it a machine wash and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: