Talk

Advanced search

a cheap way to make your house smell DIVINE and soooo fresh

(18 Posts)
superv1xen Tue 30-Nov-10 17:07:03

i just wanted to share this with you, i don't like traditional aerosol sprays, and i dont think they are very good for you. so here is what i have come up with:

get an empty water spray bottle, fill it up with half fabric conditioner and half water, shake it up and -this sounds bizarre- spray it on your radiators when they are on. it creates a lovely fresh linen smell all around your house. (i use the yellow comfort btw)

bitsnbobs Tue 30-Nov-10 17:26:19

I do this too, I spray some on the doormat so it smells nice when you walk in. Saves buying Febreeze!

ItsJustMyOpinion Tue 30-Nov-10 17:29:36

That sounds like a good idea, might have to try that myself....

SixtyFootDoll Tue 30-Nov-10 17:31:40

Nice one!

Alouiseg Tue 30-Nov-10 18:17:25

I usually hang a few items of freshly washed laundry on the radiator.

superv1xen Thu 02-Dec-10 13:28:24

yeah i dry my laundry inside on the radiators at the mo as dont have a tumbledryer. and i spray a bit extra on the drying clothes too

northerngirl41 Thu 02-Dec-10 19:55:46

I am far too lazy to do the mixing thing - I just put a drop of essential oil on the radiators!

itstheyearzero Sat 04-Dec-10 07:07:49

I do similar, I put a little fabric conditioner on a tissue and leave it to evaporate off. Smells lovely!

gregssausageroll Sat 04-Dec-10 10:41:57

Will the fabric conditioner not stain/leave sticky marks on your radiators? Liking the idea though!

Hopelesslydisorganised Sat 04-Dec-10 10:45:02

ooh sounds lovely - thank you grin

walkinginaWUKTERwonderland Sat 04-Dec-10 10:46:16

I put it on an old sock and tuck it in behind rad. On reflection I think an aerosol in the shape of a stone would be classier than an old sock.
You shouldn't put fabric conditioner in a towel wash, so sometimes I put the sock in the dryer with the towels for 10 mins, so you get the scent.

shodatin Sat 04-Dec-10 11:46:50

Please tell me why you shouldn't put fabric conditioner in a towel wash - I always do because I like soft towels!

brimfull Sat 04-Dec-10 11:49:53

I don't use fabric softener - does my house stink?

walkinginaWUKTERwonderland Sat 04-Dec-10 12:01:44

Um... well I got it from a reliable source (um, probably someone on here). The conditioner clings to the fibres so that at first they come out lovely and soft, they go crispy much quicker. I've tried it and it's true. The best thing for towels is the tumbler. I can't justify using it for a full dry, but even ten minutes when they're nearly dry form the line or the horse fluffs them up nicely.

shodatin Sat 04-Dec-10 13:34:10

Thanks - will check this out

pippop1 Sun 05-Dec-10 19:41:09

I heard that fabric conditioner on towels made them less absorbent (of water).

booyhohoho Sun 05-Dec-10 19:45:44

i don't use fabric softener? can i use white vinegar instead grin (for the radiators i mean)

yes fabric softener reduces teh absorbancy of towels.

peachybums Sun 05-Dec-10 20:31:28

Shouldnt use fabric softner on towels as it coats the fibres and it wont absorb as much moisture (which is what they are for) same goes for cloth nappies. We dont use fabric softner at all my clothes smell nice and aint too rough after ironing

As for nice smells i use essential oil on radiators, smells wonderful :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now