Talk

Advanced search

Natural product to whiten whites...

(5 Posts)
gregtheguineapig Tue 30-Nov-10 08:03:02

Hi, my son is allergic to products like Glo-White etc. so I'm not able to use them to get my whites white (as opposed to the grey colour they seem to be!).

Does anyone know of any natural remedies I could use? I've heard lemon juice is good but not sure if this is true or not?

dikkertjedap Tue 30-Nov-10 09:40:43

Best to dry whites in full sun light (bleaches) ... bit difficult at the moment

I use a bit of bleach to soak overnight and then wash it at 60 degrees with normal detergent. If this is too harsh for your son, you may have to wash it once or twice more on a proper cycle but without any detergent. Bit more work, but if you do it every month/two months with a whole lot of his whites it might be do-able. I also tried the Oxyvanish for whites but found that quite disappointing, quite expensive, didn't really get white.

SuePurblybiltByElves Tue 30-Nov-10 17:32:54

I have heard that a frost is good for whites. I think you leave them out then wash them again praps? It wouldn't be great for clothes in the long term as the fibres are easily broken when frozen but it is supposed to be great for whites.

I think the idea is that moisture in the clothes is frozen, lifting dirt and some stains out with it. Then if you de-frost flat and wash again, they should be lovely.
Or something grin

nannyl Tue 30-Nov-10 17:34:48

sunshine

(not sure you will get much of that at the moment!)

most POWDERS (that arnt colour powders) ie fair non bio POWDER, persil non bio POWDER, contain optical brighteners (aka bleach) which will whiten whites (and make colours fade over time)

nannyl Tue 30-Nov-10 17:35:03

fairy non bio

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now