Talk

Advanced search

How many units of gas do you use per day?

(4 Posts)
squirrel42 Thu 25-Nov-10 10:48:54

I've been trying to work out how much I'm spending on gas per day for central heating, hot water and the gas hob. I'm starting to make a note of my gas meter reading at the same time each day so I can make a chart - sad, I know! So I was wondering whether anyone else keeps track of gas usage like this, or if you just know roughly how much you're using?

I live in an end-of-terrace modern two-bed house, have the heating set to the thermostat throughout the day at around 18 degrees (got small pets that don't like the cold!) and then off at night, it's just me so there's not a lot of extra useage from hot water, etc. The first day's recording in this nippy weather was 4 units on a metric meter.

Npower say to work out the kwh you're billed in you times the units by the volume correction number (1.02264) and then the calorific value (40), then divide by 3.6. I've also seen another thread that says just times the units by 11.2 which sounds easier and gives about the same result! That would mean 4 units = around 45 kwh, at approx 8p per kwh is £3.63. Obviously this is based on one day so need to do this for a few weeks and average out, but for a full cold month of similar gas useage that's around £100. I might be buying my gerbils a hot water bottle and turning the thermostat down!

So anyone else got some figures for comparison?

Seona1973 Thu 25-Nov-10 13:05:43

according to the info in my last bill (e-on) we used 26.1kwh per day on average last year i.e. will include all seasons. We used 14 kwh of electricity per day. There are 2 adults and 2 kids (no pets) in the house which is a 4 bed detached. Our heating is on a timer and is on 6am till 10am and 5pm till 10pm with me boosting it as required during the day i.e. today the heating is on as it is freezing. The thermostat is around 19 degrees when the heating is on.

snorkie Thu 25-Nov-10 14:12:20

I have monitored our gas (and electric) consumption quite closely for a couple of years now and can say that the gas hob uses a tiny amount relative to everything else. The water depends on how often you heat it up, to how hot and how much you use it - it costs more in the winter than the summer (even with these variables the same) as the water has to be heated from a lot colder and so uses more energy. The amount we use for water pales into insignificance compared to what is used for the heating. We use our wood burner as much as possible instead and that keeps our gas usage very low. In summer 4-5kwh per day; in winter 6-7kwh per day without gas heating but 25-40kwh per day with.

greenlotus Thu 25-Nov-10 23:38:32

Similar to snorkie, winter season (heating) and I guess water heating far outstrips everything else. We go up from 7 units of gas per day in the summer to 90 in the winter shock. I'm with Scottish power and you get this information on the website based on your past consumption.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: