Talk

Advanced search

What do you collect peelings etc in for composting?

(10 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Mon 22-Nov-10 15:55:05

Just wondering what other people use as I haven't yet found a good solution!

At the moment we are using a normal mid-sized pedal bin (the sort that is about knee-height), but it is a bit rubbish really as it often gets very disgusting and smelly before we get round to emptying it, even if I put newspaper in it. I found some compostable liners and thought that would help, but as they are actually a bit small for our bin they end up just flopping down so all the stuff lands on top rather than in them and then it goes manky anyway, so they don't make much difference.

An ideal solution for us would be something:
- ~Not too small, as we sometimes end up chucking out quite a lot at once, or big things like old flowers, and I hate having to go out to the compost heap too often (it's in a far corner of the garden, so not nice when it's dark and wet!)
- Childproofable, or else small enough to fit on kitchen counter (or in the cupboard under the sink perhaps?), so DD doesn't get at it
- Can have some sort of insert to stop it getting so manky if I don't get round to emptying it for a bit.

Any thoughts please? I can't face having to clean our one out again!! Thank you grin

MadameCastafiore Mon 22-Nov-10 15:56:33

You can buy a small compost bin thing in major supermarkets - we have a green one the council gave all residents of our village which the compostible liners fit in.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 24-Nov-10 20:07:45

Oh, I haven't seen these but will have a look next time I get to the big Tesco's, thank you. Is it one to put on the floor or worktop or in a cupboard?

nannyl Wed 24-Nov-10 21:16:39

what about this

we have a similar type caddy (slightly smaller) it sits on the worksurface (between toaster and microwave) so is out of childrens reach

i buy most of my fruit and veg from the market and use the brown paper bags to line the bottom.

We generate a LOT of compost and empty it about every 3 days, but ours does look a bit smaller than that

nannyl Wed 24-Nov-10 21:18:27

i think this is the one we have!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 24-Nov-10 21:20:05

A nice ceramic crock from Lakeland, but I am a kitchen ponce wink

cruelladepoppins Wed 24-Nov-10 22:01:34

Ooer! Feel like a compost geek!

We recently had our kitchen installed and one entire cabinet is given over to waste.

Here.

Tug on the door and the whole inner unit slides out with 4 bins, 2 big, 2 small.

We use the big bins for rinsed recyclables (tins, plastics, juice cartons).

One small bin is for compost that we just empty when it's full (every couple of days), the other small bin is for "absolute" rubbish (stuff that can't be composted or recycled).

The novelty hasn't worn off yet of chopping something up at the worktop and then just sliding the waste into the appropriate bin! It's one of the things I love most about my kitchen.

The compost doesn't niff much at all, maybe because the cupboard stops the smell getting out? (oh, we also have a little tub on the worktop for stuff going to the chickens).

DrSeuss Wed 24-Nov-10 22:03:19

I use the tub that mini rolls come in from M&S. If the point is to recycle, why buy a fancy crock?

maktaitai Wed 24-Nov-10 22:04:35

We have a council food caddy for any non-compostable food remains (breadcrumbs, meaty bits, rice, eggshells, any cooked food but tbh there isn't much as we are too greedy).

Then my mum gave me this last Christmas which I love far more than is healthy. It has a great lid seal on it so never smells, is big enough but not too big, has an inner bucket with handle to pull out so it can all be cleaned properly, generally it is wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 24-Nov-10 23:16:10

I like your one maktaitai (and the other similar ones) but a bit worried it would be too small for us unless I go out in the rain snow (today!) all the time to empty it. DH is terrible for buying way too much fruit and veg and then letting it go all manky (which is a whole nother issue!) so ideally we need one that can fit whole rotten leeks and things... I feel a wander round Lakeland coming on though as it looks like they have some bigger ones!

Cruella's looks v good and would satisfy my neat-freak side but I don't think we could get one in without redoing the kitchen sadly...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now