Talk

Advanced search

cleaning wooden venetian blinds

(12 Posts)
Melfish Mon 22-Nov-10 11:44:13

I've got wooden blinds in the front room and they are filthy as anything. I've got the Lakeland blind cleaner thing here but it is utterly useless. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning these blinds?

DrSpechemin Mon 22-Nov-10 15:59:51

best way is to unclip them from the window and wash them in the shower - the only way to get them completely cleam imo

StealthPomBear Mon 22-Nov-10 16:01:49

does it not warp the wood?
I've done it for our weird woody ones in the kitchen but not sure I'd want to risk it for the wood venetians

DrSpechemin Mon 22-Nov-10 16:14:04

don't know - our wooden ones were fine - I guess as long as you dry them off with a towel pretty quickly and hang them back up again they should be ok?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 22-Nov-10 16:20:26

I use one of those Flash duster thingies on a stick. Doesn't do a perfect job, but a quick swipe once a week stops them from becoming revolting.

Once every couple of months when I can be arsed or MIL is coming to stay I do them properly with a damp sock over my hand. I have them all round the bay in our living room and it takes me about half an hour to do the whole lot.

Sazisi Mon 22-Nov-10 16:26:23

I use a stiff 1inch paintbrush to thoroughly dust them.
It doesn't really work on the blinds in the kitchen though, which is near the cooker and a bit grimey - think I'll have to bite the bullet and wash them in the shower. And rethink the notion of having wooden blinds in the kitchen too hmm

Alouiseg Mon 22-Nov-10 16:27:32

Blast with a leaf blower, then brush wih a hand brush, only wipe if necessary.

StealthPomBear Mon 22-Nov-10 16:44:49

well I've just been in and done the top three of a third of a window in the lounge with a baby wipe hmm

Melfish Mon 22-Nov-10 20:47:08

thanks for all the tips, I'll try the damp sock one tomorrow. Don't fancy taking them down, I took down the ones in the other rooms permanently when we moved in and that was bad enough!

JaxTellersOldLady Mon 22-Nov-10 20:50:39

I dont recommend taking them down and washing them in the bath, they will warp!

Having used everything known to man, or woman I think the best thing is a damp sock or the brush attachement on the vaccuum cleaner which dusts and sucks all the dust bunnies up.

My mother warned me about wooden blinds, but did I listen???? grin

Wont ever have wooden blinds again... although I have seen some nice shutters in a friends house.

Sanesometimes1 Tue 23-Nov-10 23:52:54

i take mine down lay them out flat on the living room floor and hoover with the brush attachment thingy - quick and very easy - turn over to get both sides done,

solo Wed 24-Nov-10 00:01:31

Blimey! mine are extremely heavy so I wouldn't want to take them down to shower off.
I have one in the bathroom which gets wet every day from the shower and it hasn't warped and it's had 10 years worth of splashing/getting wet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: