Talk

Advanced search

How do you prevet mould on window sills?

(5 Posts)
InkyStamp Mon 22-Nov-10 10:30:30

I have noticed with the colder weather condensation builds up on the inside of the windows. This then causes mould on the widow sills.

So, firstly, is it normal to get condensation on the sills of (double glazed) windows? Or should I tell the LL about it?

AND, how do I prevent the mould. Have bleached ad dust regularly, but it still comes back? Is it just a case of making sure the sills are dry everyday?

InkyStamp Mon 22-Nov-10 12:52:38

MadreInglese Mon 22-Nov-10 12:53:41

Ours did the same and the seal on the double glazing needed replacing, you shouldn't get condensation

dreamingofsun Mon 22-Nov-10 13:19:28

depends what you are doing inside surely? I bought a tumble dryer because i found that drying clothes caused this and its since stopped. in our ensuites its caused by the shower and is better we now have a decent extractor as long as the windows are left open regularly - again kitchen after cooking. have you got any tiny airvents in the tops of the frames - maybe leave these open to improve airflow?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 22-Nov-10 13:33:13

The only way to stop/minimise mould is to make sure the moisture levels in the house are as low as possible.

Air the house for a few hours every day, don't dry washing inside etc, make sure you have adequate heating all around the house.

Bleach existing mould with 1/20 parts bleach/water and clean every single patch as it multiplies by spores travelling in the air. Dry the cills everyday and keep moisture to a bare minimum.

A good analogy given to me was everytime you dry clothes inside the house, you may as well get a litre of water and chuck it up against the walls because that is effectively what you are doing.

You can get rid of it, you just have to keep ontop of it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now