Talk

Advanced search

new tumble dryer- will it really save me ironing? And how bad is it to tumble things that say not to?

(5 Posts)
plusonemore Fri 19-Nov-10 17:13:13

Thats basically it!

New tumble, with auto sensor to tell when things dry, also settings for 'ready to wear' etc. Have found it really difficult this yr with working nearly full time, one at nursery and one started school to keep on top of everything- ironing was the final straw! Then the old tumble broke so instead of contemplating ironing lady, saw this and thought it might save me a job! So many things say not to tumble though! Do you just try and see? Obviously not stuff with plastic logos or silk stuff? Any tips?

CeliaFate Fri 19-Nov-10 19:16:45

Give clothes a good shake before they go in, don't overload it and take them out as soon as the cycle ends. If you're not there, use the Easy Iron cycle when you get in, which relaxes the fibres of the clothes and softens them for about 10 mins. Fold them flat as soon as you've taken them out and there should be no need to iron t-shirts and kids' clothes.

I wouldn't tumble dry new clothes and I've noticed that Asda and Next stuff shrinks if it's tumble dried! I keep a Minky airer in the utility room so that when they're nearly dry I shove them in the tumbler for the Easy Iron programme.

I really need to get a life don't I? grin

plusonemore Fri 19-Nov-10 19:35:14

great here's hoping i get some time back to sit on sofa and mumsnet
do you risk stuff that says not to? so much seems to, is it just a covering their own back thing?

CeliaFate Sat 20-Nov-10 11:32:24

Thinner cotton stuff seems to be ok, but thicker jersey always shrinks IME.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 22-Nov-10 22:04:06

I tumble dry loads of stuff that says I shouldn't but mostly it's cotton stuff that in the US you'd be able to tumble dry and bleach but for some reason in UK it says you can't.

My big failure was tumble drying DDs growbag - a Babies 'r' Us one and the filling all bunched together in little balls...grrrr.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: